| Med records question.

Old October 6th 03, 12:21 AM
Kane

Default | Med records question.

On 05 Oct 2003 14:57:08 GMT, (Fern5827) wrote:

I don't see why not. You are responsible for the child's health and

welfare.
You may be making those med decisions as to whether to permit

chemotherapy.
BTW, Parker Jensen had leukemia at age 3 and probably went thru quite

a course
of chemo then. I don't know how many folks realize that.

Egad, am I going to have to be polite to A Plant now? You finally
produced something meaningful and not a lie? Curses, Foiled again...r
r r r

Seriously....

BTW, when obtaining some of my med records, my physician recommended

that I
hand walk them to hospital.

Any time you can get any of your own "records" of any kind that is
sage advice. Financial, government, medical, whatever...don't let them
out of your sight.

These days with ID theft and its popularity someone in the chain of
transmission of records can lift critical info and make a quick few
hundred bucks. Seriously.

Even your check in a restaurant is subject to that. I have a hard time
in upscale restaurants where servers wish to take my card to their
machine away from my sight.

Now card swipers are as tiny as a long tube of lipstick. Pocket sizes
and swiped in the pocket out of sight.

To give anyone the unsupervised transport of my records...brrrr. Ain't
going to happen.

Good advice, Fern.

But I do have a great physician. I (about 15 months) ago, received

ALL MY MED
RECORDS--PHOTOCOPIED. Dating back almost 30 years. Actually, he has

a great
assistant.

Don't know what's so special about that. I can get that whenever I
want.

I don't know if HIPAA has changed this climate. Fed bill finalized

in April 03
which changes disclosure rules relative to med records.

Not "HIPAA" but HIPPA (Health Information Privacy and Portability
Act). No offense intended. I said it wrong for months myself even
after two trainings I attended. Third one was the charm...I remembered
the name correctly afterward.

Well, after three trainiings and considerable argument among folks on
both sides of CPS, and foster, I think I can give a tentative answer
with at least a hope for some authority.

No, it actually hasn't changed a thing for the patient or legally
responsible party. If a child is in your legal custody, regardless of
your blood relationship to the child, you have every right to the
records in hospital, or Drs. office.

What you WON'T get, no matter how hard you try, are the CPS records
that are deemed medical, like mental health evaluations (they are
"medical" reports for HIPAA purposes) if there is a case underway and
a determination that there is a risk to the client.

In fact, HIPPA. makes the same rules that many states have held for a
long time now federal law.

You should know by now my feelings about states rights vs federal
intrusions...I don't like HIPPA.

And here's what I am referring to that I don't like, that once was a
choice in a state, now is the law of the land....a patient, deemed to
be potentially harmfull to self and others can be denied their own
records.

Making the call is serious business. Once states could work at this
thorny problem and hopefully come up with some parity in the issue.
NOW, of course, they have to think about the fines if they are wrong.

Violation of HIPPA by anyone who has control of the records, can
result in ... I'll have to check for accuracy, but to the best of my
memory, 1 year on jail and or $100,000 fine. Lessor fines and
penalties can be assessed by a judge but hooooboy, I wouldn't want to
be anyone that had control of medical records.

Even my doctors staff didn't know the extent of HIPPA until I told
them. I believe they are scheduled for a training soon. My doc is
paying for it, and going himself.

It's not questionable after a TPR but it is before, on vaious issues.

HIPPA should be available from the feds. I can look it up for you, but
I've got to go out and clean up around the deck stairs I just finished
building.

Have a good one, Fern.

You might want to consider your career as a liar, and the one you
could launch from this post I reply to, as someone that actually
cares, contributes usefull and thoughful information, and ends the
Fertilizer spreading.

(and yes, I WILL SO cross post this -- a lot. It is an important
question outside of ascps, as have been all my other crossposts,
unlike yours).

Kane.

Dan asked:

Subject: Med records question.From: "Dan Sullivan"

Date: 10/5/2003 9:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Can parents get copies of their child's med records if they haven't

been
TPR'd?

Best, Dan

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM