I-Team: Handicapped couple seeking to regain custody of their children

Old November 30th 07, 04:34 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default I-Team: Handicapped couple seeking to regain custody of their children

I-Team: Handicapped couple seeking to regain custody of their children

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met....458c36a2.html

Web Posted: 11/27/2007 11:21 PM CST

Joe Conger
KENS 5 Eyewitness News

Child Protective Services' mission statement calls for the reunification
of families, but a Kerrville couple wonders if the department has other
ideas when it comes to their kids.

Duke Davenport , a Navy veteran and former oil well firefighter, is
embroiled in a fight with CPS to regain custody of his three children
taken from him six months ago.

"When I think of my kids, it's pretty tough, you know?" he said.

In late 2005, a massive stroke left Davenport with limited use of his
right arm. His wife, Rebecca, has been blind since birth.

In June, CPS made a visit to the Davenport 's home while he was in the
hospital. The couple says the visit would change the family forever.

"From the very moment that she was pregnant, everybody we were around
starts calling CPS," said Duke. " 'How can a blind lady and a cripple
guy, how in the world are they gonna take care of a baby?' 'How are they
gonna take care of their kids?' "

Acting on an anonymous tip, CPS placed the couple's 8-month-old son,
Duke's 7-year-old son and 8-year-old daughter in foster care.

The tip to CPS claimed that Duke's daughter was caring for the baby and
running the home.

Detailed in the emergency removal affidavit, investigators listed Duke's
history with CPS, which dates back to 1987. His children involved at the
time are now grown.

The most serious charges are allegations of abuse and neglect, and were
attributed to his ex-wife's family. All of the allegations were ruled
out, undetermined or closed without further action.

Investigators found no signs of abuse with his three youngest kids. In
fact, record shows Duke's 8-year-old daughter appears to be well
nourished and there are no visible signs of abuse.

The same goes for his other two sons. So why did CPS take healthy
children from a home?

The Davenports say their disabilities were enough to convince a judge
something had to be done.

"It's just absolutely crazy. I love my kids, and they love me. For us to
be having to go through this, Joe, is unbelievable," said Duke.

The Davenports went through the department's family service plan
complete with parenting classes, drug screenings and continued counseling.

They successfully completed the program, but still the Davenports have
not been reunited with their children.

"We've just been run ragged, totally ragged, by all these demands," said
Duke.

In the meantime, the Davenports are allowed weekly visits to see their
children in San Antonio .

"Inside, it hurts to leave him," said Rebecca, speaking about her
8-month-old son. "The thought of someone else taking care of your own
child, it's very bad."

According to a CPS caseworker, Rebecca's blindness is what keeps her
from getting the infant back.

In October, caseworker Tammy Castro told a judge she still doesn't like
the way Rebecca puts a diaper on the baby.

"I'm carrying the doll around for a reason. I'm carrying the doll around
to show people that I can take care of the baby. They don't seem to
believe that," Rebecca said.

According to the Lighthouse for the Blind, there are somewhere between
44,000 to 50,000 blind people in San Antonio , and many of them enjoying
parenthood.

Caseworkers also state Duke's anger towards CPS is too troubling for the
family to be reunited.

"Even my worst enemies treat me better than CPS. They're just a bunch of
scumbags from hell," said Duke.

The I-Team contacted CPS spokesperson Mary Walker after employees at CPS
headquarters in Austin declined to be interviewed.

Walker also refused an on-camera interview, but sent a statement by e-mail.

The statement states: "Blindness is not considered a form of neglect,
but the level of debilitation resulting from a stroke, blindness or any
disability can present complications when caring for young children and
must be considered.

"I'm up for the challenge," said Rebecca. "There's no reason for them
not to be here. Especially the baby."

Meantime, the Davenport 's infant son is beginning to explore his
surroundings and is becoming an active, growing young boy, busy with the
spills and thrills of childhood.

Now the Davenports wonder why CPS caseworkers don't want the parents to
experience in his childhood, whether they are blind or handicapped.

"It's time to get my kids back," said Duke.

"What do you want to see happen? I want him back. That's my only joy in
life," said Rebecca.

CURRENTLY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES VIOLATES MORE CIVIL RIGHTS ON A
DAILY BASIS THEN ALL OTHER AGENCIES COMBINED INCLUDING THE NSA / CIA
WIRETAPPING PROGRAM....

CPS Does not protect children...
It is sickening how many children are subject to abuse, neglect and even
killed at the hands of Child Protective Services.

every parent should read this .pdf from
connecticut dcf watch...

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com/8x11.pdf

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com

Number of Cases per 100,000 children in the US
These numbers come from The National Center on
Child Abuse and Neglect in Washington. (NCCAN)
Recent numbers have increased significantly for CPS

*Perpetrators of Maltreatment*

Physical Abuse CPS 160, Parents 59
Sexual Abuse CPS 112, Parents 13
Neglect CPS 410, Parents 241
Medical Neglect CPS 14 Parents 12
Fatalities CPS 6.4, Parents 1.5

Imagine that, 6.4 children die at the hands of the very agencies that
are supposed to protect them and only 1.5 at the hands of parents per
100,000 children. CPS perpetrates more abuse, neglect, and sexual abuse
and kills more children then parents in the United States. If the
citizens of this country hold CPS to the same standards that they hold
parents too. No judge should ever put another child in the hands of ANY
government agency because CPS nationwide is guilty of more harm and
death than any human being combined. CPS nationwide is guilty of more
human rights violations and deaths of children then the homes from which
they were removed. When are the judges going to wake up and see that
they are sending children to their death and a life of abuse when
children are removed from safe homes based on the mere opinion of a
bunch of social workers.

CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, HAPPILY DESTROYING THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT
FAMILIES YEARLY NATIONWIDE AND COMING TO YOU'RE HOME SOON...

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHERE YOUR CANDIDATES STANDS ON THE ISSUE OF
REFORMING OR ABOLISHING CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ("MAKE YOUR CANDIDATES
TAKE A STAND ON THIS ISSUE.") THEN REMEMBER TO VOTE ACCORDINGLY IF THEY
ARE "FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...