Allergies in pregnancy - can I do anything for them except suffer?

Old January 24th 06, 02:24 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Allergies in pregnancy - can I do anything for them except suffer?

I will ask my doc, but figured I'd ask around what others have done.

I've had a cough since ~Dec 29 that won't budge. Mainly in my throat,
no other symptoms. My OB gave me some tessalon to basically anesthetize
my throat at night so I could sleep (getting nore more than 2 hours
sleeep per night over weeks is not exactly healthy for the baby). That
helped a bit, but didn't clear it. But now, it seems like I have
allergies hitting in full force. This is only my 3rd season in this
area, so I never had allergies here before (but did have them when I
lived elsewhere, they usually take a few years to develop), so I'm not
100% convinced that's what this is, but I've got all the hallmark signs
of it. And the cough that was finally starting to wane a bit has come
back in full force thanks to post-nasal drip. I take in more fluids and
Vitamin C than should be humanly possible it seems....

I don't like taking drugs even when non-pregnant, but have succumbed to
taking allergy meds otherwise I wouldn't be functional. I'm 17 weeks
and a few days now.

I'm surely not the only pregnant woman with allergies.

Old January 24th 06, 02:54 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"cjra" wrote in message
I don't like taking drugs even when non-pregnant, but have succumbed to
taking allergy meds otherwise I wouldn't be functional. I'm 17 weeks
and a few days now.

I'm surely not the only pregnant woman with allergies.

I have horrible allergies and was able to take Sudefed during my
pregnancies. I also used saline in my nose when it was really bad.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 24th 06, 03:52 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Cedar fever?
I hear it's awful. Benadryl is class B and ok for pregnant women. I
don't know if any of the other treatments (ex. allergy shots) are ok
for pregnant women, it's worth consulting an allergist.

Karen

Old January 24th 06, 04:14 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I think it's Cedar, and apparently this year it's not supposed to be
very bad as it's been so dry.....

Yeah, my OB told me to take Benadryl at night, and I did a few times,
but I wake up so groggy and unable to function I'm not convinced it's
better.

Old January 24th 06, 04:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think it's Cedar, and apparently this year it's not supposed to be
very bad as it's been so dry.....

Yeah, my OB told me to take Benadryl at night, and I did a few times,
but I wake up so groggy and unable to function I'm not convinced it's
better.

The longer you take the Benadryl, the less it will make you groggy. I've
taken it for insomnia and have to take breaks from it so I don't get used to
it.
Try breaking the tablet in half, you might get some relief with a smaller
dose without as much drowsiness.

Amy

Old January 24th 06, 04:41 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I'm 7 months along and my allergies were crazy for the first 5. The dr
said to take Benadryl which mostly worked but I hated taking it.
While looking for a more natural solution I found SinuCleanse
(www.sinucleanse.com) which is essentially a neti pot. A few times a
day I would fill the pot w/warm water + their powder and pour into my
nostrils. I know it sounds distinctly unappealing, and frankly it was
at times but the relief I got after just a few days has been life
changing. :-)

I got mine at Brooks Pharmacy.

If you do try it, here's one suggestion...start with your most clogged
nostril first.

NOW, I'm on bedrest so my head is down below my feet much of the
time...I'm not sneezing or stuffed up nasally but I've got an annoying
cough and my ears are blocked,,,,great...;-)

SJL

Old January 24th 06, 04:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

wrote:
I'm 7 months along and my allergies were crazy for the first 5. The dr
said to take Benadryl which mostly worked but I hated taking it.
While looking for a more natural solution I found SinuCleanse
(www.sinucleanse.com) which is essentially a neti pot. A few times a
day I would fill the pot w/warm water + their powder and pour into my
nostrils. I know it sounds distinctly unappealing, and frankly it was
at times but the relief I got after just a few days has been life
changing. :-)

heh, my chinese medicine friend prescribed the neti pot last month when
I was just having "pregnancy sinus"..... But I've been using saline
instead. That helped when it wasn't that bad. Maybe I'll have to buy
the pot afterall.

Old January 24th 06, 05:01 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

In article . com,
"cjra" wrote:

wrote:
I'm 7 months along and my allergies were crazy for the first 5. The dr
said to take Benadryl which mostly worked but I hated taking it.
While looking for a more natural solution I found SinuCleanse
(www.sinucleanse.com) which is essentially a neti pot. A few times a
day I would fill the pot w/warm water + their powder and pour into my
nostrils. I know it sounds distinctly unappealing, and frankly it was
at times but the relief I got after just a few days has been life
changing. :-)

heh, my chinese medicine friend prescribed the neti pot last month when
I was just having "pregnancy sinus"..... But I've been using saline
instead. That helped when it wasn't that bad. Maybe I'll have to buy
the pot afterall.

I see your neti pot and raise you one: I used a Water Pik with a special
attachment for cleaning out my sinuses.Whee!

My allergies got _much_ worse when I was pregnant last time. (This time
they haven't been as bad, because my worst allergies are in the spring.)
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, due in April

Quoting, for users of Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/support/bin...4213&topic=250
Old January 25th 06, 04:06 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

cjra wrote:

Yeah, my OB told me to take Benadryl at night, and I did a few times,
but I wake up so groggy and unable to function I'm not convinced it's
better.

Claritin was made a category B a couple of years ago and should be non
drowsy if that will work for you. My OB didn't think my taking
Allegra was a problem last time (which is what I usually use for
allergies) but that is a category C. Though I got lucky and except
for one really bad (allergy wise) visit to my hometown, my allergies
were much milder than normal when pregnant and I only took the allegra
a few times.

Old January 25th 06, 06:41 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

cjra wrote:

I will ask my doc, but figured I'd ask around what others have done.

[snip]
I'm surely not the only pregnant woman with allergies.

It was the happiest day in my pregnancy when my doctor told me I could
still take my OTC allergy medicine - it's literally the only thing that
helps, including any and all prescription medicines. (People without
allergies just don't get it, do they?) I got permission to take
Benedryl, Chlor-Trimeton, and Actifed. I usually only take a half a
day, since I've been much more rigorous about non-medicine preventions
like lots of fresh air and frequent vacuuming and dusting, but I really
couldn't make it without them. Definitely do talk to doc.

This cough, though, how BIG is it? Is it a productive cough, a throat
tickle, or just kind of like a twitch you just can't get rid of? If
it's the latter, with no other symptoms, you might have asthma. I'm
also on 2 different asthma meds, and when I don't take them, sleeping is
out of the question, and the irritating, persistent cough comes right
back.
--
Cheri Stryker

Mom to DS1 - 6 yrs old