Baby with low oxygen saturation

Old May 15th 04, 05:41 PM
Shiva

Default Baby with low oxygen saturation

My new girl baby born on May 10th and having low oxygen saturation
level. It's around 82 to 85. Doctors are saying that fluid entered her
lungs during delivery because my wife had c-section and baby need
some oxygen help and everything will be alright in a week. I brought
her home with the oxygen cylinder and having more troubles to take
care of her. She doesnt like the tube on her nose and trying to take
it out. So somebody should watch her all the time. In the night she is
making me more nervous by removing the tube from her nose. Doctor said
nothing will happen even if she doesnt have oxygen help for sometime.
But i'm worried. Let me know if anybody had this kind of problem and
what could happen to my daughter.
Old May 16th 04, 01:21 PM
JoFromOz

Fluid on the lungs from a C/S usually only lasts 24 hours - it's called TTN
(Transient Tachypnoea of the Newborn). The baby will absorb the excess
fluid and breathing should return to normal. If the fluid on the lungs
stays there, the baby will be at risk of pneumonia - a chest infection. Is
your baby on antibiotics? How often is she checked on if she is at home? A
newborn on oxygen shouldn't be at home, she should be in a nursery.

This doesn't sound right at all to me...

Jo (RM)

Old May 18th 04, 03:16 AM
toypup

"Shiva" wrote in message
om...
My new girl baby born on May 10th and having low oxygen saturation
level. It's around 82 to 85. Doctors are saying that fluid entered her
lungs during delivery because my wife had c-section and baby need
some oxygen help and everything will be alright in a week. I brought
her home with the oxygen cylinder and having more troubles to take
care of her. She doesnt like the tube on her nose and trying to take
it out. So somebody should watch her all the time. In the night she is
making me more nervous by removing the tube from her nose. Doctor said
nothing will happen even if she doesnt have oxygen help for sometime.
But i'm worried. Let me know if anybody had this kind of problem and
what could happen to my daughter.

When my babies were in the hospital on monitors, 82 to 85 would get them
immediate medical attention from the RN's. If it stayed that way, the docs
came in. They wouldn't have sent them home with levels like that.