Asthma, Advair and Pregnancy

Old June 13th 04, 03:51 AM
Colleen

Default Asthma, Advair and Pregnancy

I have just become pregnant and have been using Advair for the last
year. Since the last posting to this the kids.pregnancy and
support.asthma groups in December 2003, has anyone else gained
first-hand experience or solid information regarding the use of Advair
either before or during pregnancy?
Old June 13th 04, 07:45 AM
Jenrose

"Colleen" wrote in message
om...
I have just become pregnant and have been using Advair for the last
year. Since the last posting to this the kids.pregnancy and
support.asthma groups in December 2003, has anyone else gained
first-hand experience or solid information regarding the use of Advair
either before or during pregnancy?

My asthma doc said no... use flovent and albuterol instead because the
long-acting seravent has a longer half-life.

Then again, I've found my inhaler use drops radically when I up my magnesium
and vitamin C--I went from needing advair *and* albuterol *and* singulair
*and* zyrtec to just singulair and zyrtec. Singulair was not one she was
comfortable with, but it's category B vs. the cat C for the inhalers.

Magnesium (citrate, 300 mg once a day or 200 mg twice a day when it's bad
out) has made an incredible difference in how well controlled my asthma is.

Old June 13th 04, 03:26 PM
Circe

Jenrose wrote:
"Colleen" wrote in message
om...
I have just become pregnant and have been using Advair for the last
year. Since the last posting to this the kids.pregnancy and
support.asthma groups in December 2003, has anyone else gained
first-hand experience or solid information regarding the use of
Advair either before or during pregnancy?

My asthma doc said no... use flovent and albuterol instead because
the long-acting seravent has a longer half-life.

Hemmm, I took Serevent through three pregnancies and no one ever said boo to
me about it. Since albuterol has such a long history of use in pregnancy
without any noticeable increase in teratogenic effects, and since Serevent
is just a long-acting form of albuterol, I don't think it's worth avoiding
Advair to avoid the Serevent component if you get better control with Advair
than you can get with other drugs. Of course, if you can get good control
with other drugs, no problem, but I personally don't think the risk of
Serevent is *near* high enough to justify taking a chance. The fetus is at
*far* greater risk of negative side effects if asthma spirals out of control
and the mother can't breathe than from Serevent.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old June 13th 04, 07:48 PM
Jennifer and Robert Howe

I took advair and albuteral during my pregnancy last year and I have a
healthy 10 month old. Unfortunatly though she does have asthma as well and
has to have the occasional liquid dose of albuteral. but other then that
she is very healthy.

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03

om...

Old June 13th 04, 09:22 PM
Renae & AJ Barnes

I took flixotide (flovent) and serevent, prednison, ventolin and atrovent
through out both of my pregnancies and both kids are just fine.
It is very important to keep your asthma under control throughout the
pregnancy and I was advised not to stop or reduced any of my medication.
Hope it helps.

Renae

"Colleen" wrote in message
om...
I have just become pregnant and have been using Advair for the last
year. Since the last posting to this the kids.pregnancy and
support.asthma groups in December 2003, has anyone else gained
first-hand experience or solid information regarding the use of Advair
either before or during pregnancy?

---

Old June 14th 04, 08:04 AM
Ellis

Advair is a combination of fluticasone and salmeterol, and is rated
Pregnancy Category C.
The safest steroid inhaler is Pulmicort [budesonide], which has
now had its safety rating raised to Category B. See:

http://www.pulmicortinfo.com/safety/index.asp
"Pulmicort Turbuhaler is the ONLY inhaled corticosteroid with a
pregnancy Category B rating"

If you switch to Pulmicort, you may also need to add a
bronchodilator to replace the Serevent [long acting bronchodilator].

Ellis

Old June 14th 04, 04:32 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Colleen wrote:

I have just become pregnant and have been using Advair for the last
year. Since the last posting to this the kids.pregnancy and
support.asthma groups in December 2003, has anyone else gained
first-hand experience or solid information regarding the use of Advair
either before or during pregnancy?

I went off it and have been feeling great. Some women experience an
improvement in their symptoms during pregnancy, and I'm possibly one of
them. I then found out that my doc would have preferred me going off of
it anyway, which kind of surprised me.

Personal experience: although the package inserts say that there is no
data to support increased infection (at least they used to say that)
while on this product, that's bogus. It's a steroid, therefore we know
that it increases the risk of infection. Anyway, while I was on it, I
had the worst cases of pneumonia of my life. I got so tired of being
that incredibly ill on a regular basis (it happened every single
frigging year that I was on it) that I decided to take my chances with
possibly developing emphysema later in life. ;-) I just keep a
bronchodilator on hand, now. My asthma is not very bad, though.

Old June 17th 04, 03:29 AM
CBI

Colleen wrote:
I have just become pregnant and have been using Advair for

the last
year. Since the last posting to this the kids.pregnancy

and
support.asthma groups in December 2003, has anyone else

gained
first-hand experience or solid information regarding the

use of Advair
either before or during pregnancy?

There is not much data to support a decision. There have
been several small studies specifically looking at
salmeterol in pregnancy and no evidence of birth defects has
been noted. There also has been no concerns raised by
routine surveilance of women taking the drug while pregnant.

There is absolutely no data in breast feeding. Because of
this many experts recommend against breastfeeding while
using it. However, when you consider that albuterol is
considered safe to give in oral form to infants (read: high
serum concentrations) and that the serum concentrations of
salmeterol in patients using it are extremly low (hence
probably also low in breast milk - but known for certain) it
is hard to imagine that significant harm is likely.

The common advice for inhaled steroids is to stay on them
for both pregnancy and breast feeding. Of course, if the
dose of medications can be lowered it should be,
pregnant/breastfeeding or not. So in the end one would have
to weigh the proven benefits of breast feeding to the baby
and the presumed benefit of salmeterol to the mother (if
you do not presume she needs it then she should stop it)
against the unlikely but unknown risk of the salmeterol to
the baby. It is completely a judgment call.

--
CBI, MD