Old March 28th 07, 01:59 PM posted to alt.child-support
Beverly

Default In the Best Interests of the Children Revisited

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 02:33:02 GMT, "DB" wrote:

"Gini" wrote in

Excellent post, Beverly. The legislators need to hear it--every day, if
need be.
It is a tragic system.

So where do we begin?

I think one of our major flaws in getting laws changed is in the use
of logic, believe it or not. Our arguments ARE logical, but most
voters are most concerned with the emotional aspect of this debate.
They think of children living in poverty if we don't "make the fathers
pay." What they fail to recognize is that the system PROMOTES
poverty. Yes, I believe it does.

How about a system that promotes responsibility? I propose that
families with children NOT be eligible for welfare if there is a
parent who can and is willing to take the children and care for them
directly. Children should always be in the care of someone who is
willing to show them a good work ethic.

And I'm sorry if I harp on welfare so much, but I can't get over
something I heard years ago. There was a 16 year old girl living in
the projects with her mother who was trying to get pregnant. I asked
her why and her reply to me was so that she could get an income and
her own place. Children who grow up with a parent who supports them
without working (welfare, child support) THINK that this is how it is
done. More babies are born into a planned poverty situation. If this
girl had come from an environment where the parent was working, even
if poor, perhaps the parent would have counseled her to go to college
and wait to have children to avoid the struggle.

And I can't believe that there isn't one person who hasn't experienced
dealing with a young adult who is from what I call "the entitlement
generation." You know who these people are... they may have a job,
but they believe they should be paid simply for being a warm body in
the building. Why do you think this is? Could it be that money
flowed too easily to a parent who did not work hard? Perhaps.

At any rate, we need to propose a bill that calls for personal
responsibility by using logic AND emotion. And the emotion should not
be about what is happening to the fathers as MUCH as what is happening
to the children. Face it... America is not ready to see a man as the
victim even if they are. I once had a friend who was arrested for
domestic violence after his wife beat the crap out of him BECAUSE we
are not ready to see a man as a victim.

Beverly