Old February 17th 10, 09:23 PM posted to misc.kids
betsy

Default Buying dumb things using allowance money

Ignoramus15568 wrote:
My son, who is 8, is getting an allowanca and has accumulated some
money.

Now he wants to buy something that is, in my opinion, a complete
ripoff, which is a pack of "Club Penguin Trading cards". He wants me
to buy them online and he would repay me in cash. The deal is $49 for
a pack of 50 cards. (!!!!!!!!!!!)

Is he wanting them for the online game codes? Do you have a reasonable
limit for his online time?

My first instinct was to just refuse to do so, but now I am having my
doubts. The cards are not really harmful (as would be if he asked me
to buy cocaine for his money, for example), they are just a dumb way
to spend money. But maybe this is his prerogative to do with his money
as he sees fit, as long as no harm is done.

If these are what he has spent a long time saving up for, it seems
reasonable to allow him to get them. If it is a brand new idea, maybe
giving it a little time to simmer, and looking at other things he has
been saving up for would make sense.

On the other hand, if, say, he would want to participate in some kind
of fraud, like a pyramid scheme, I would be right to refuse. These
cards are just one step away from fraud, so maybe the refusal has
merit.

It isn't how I would spend my own money, but lots of people seem to be
happy with them. If it will lead to more gaming than you allow, then
you may have a good reason to limit them.

As a parent, you have the right and responsibility to limit how your
children spend their money. I don't think I will have my 8 yo asking
for these because his allowance is not that large and his experience is
limited enough that he hasn't encountered them.

--Betsy