Old March 14th 04, 10:00 PM
Carol Ann

Default heartburn?

: Ok, i feel really dumb right about now...lol....but never had
: heartburn..so i dont know what it feels like BUT since i've been
: pregnant i have had something that I THINK might be HB...it ALWAYS feels
: like theres something down my throat...its like my food is just sitting
: there.....is this HB?....tums DOES take it away 'for a little while'
: i've always called this HB but is it?
:
: tia.....

What Does Heartburn Feel Like?

Heartburn is a burning pain behind the lower breastbone that may radiate
upward toward the neck. It may also include the sensation of food or liquid
coming up into the throat or mouth (regurgitation), especially when bending
over or lying down. These symptoms may be accompanied by a bitter or acid
taste.

http://www.gastro.org/clinicalRes/br...html#Heartburn

Tips to Control Heartburn (Reflux)

The following are general measures the patient can take to reduce reflux:

a.. Avoid lying down right after eating and within two to three hours of
bedtime.
b.. Elevate the head of the bed four to six inches.
c.. Lose weight if overweight. (Don't do while pregnant!)
d.. Stop smoking.
e.. Avoid eating large meals. Instead, eat smaller, more frequent meals.
f.. Avoid:
a.. Chocolate
b.. Coffee and alcohol
c.. Fried and fatty foods
d.. Mint products (i.e., peppermint, spearmint)
e.. Carbonated beverages, and citrus fruits or juices
f.. Tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard and vinegar
g.. Aspirin and most pain medicines (other than acetaminophen). (Don't
do while pregnant!)

Hope that helps!

~Carol Ann