Old June 20th 07, 09:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

Default No Wrap Shower

"Boliath" wrote in message
Welches wrote:

I tried that with #2. We received so much for #1-she was the first of the
next generation on both sides, and we moved area just before she was born
and we got presents from the old area and the new area.
I tried dropping the hint with #2, but instead we received two presents
from everyone-something for #1 and something for #2.

That's sweet. I hope people remember my son when this baby arrives. I do
try to get a gift for the other children if I'm buying for a new baby and
of course this baby will bring home a gift from the hospital to his big
brother. I'm planning on getting him a doctor set, he loves playing doctor
and it seems appropriate.

Interestingly with #3 we've had lots for him, and #1 and #2 have had, I
think, 2 presents each. In fact today they got the second present and #1
said "but you're not meant to buy presents for us they're meant for #3".
I don't know whether people are thinking "I don't want to buy 3 presents"
or it seems a bigger thing for 1 to become 2, than 2 become 3, or if it's
because he's a boy.

I would guess it's because people don't want to buy 3 presents or they
think the older ones are old enough to understand maybe?

Well #2 is 3.5yo now, and #1 was 3yo when #2 was born, so I don't think it's
totally age related.
I suspect it's thinking that it is more of a shock for #1 to have a baby
spoil her only child bliss than for #1 and #2 to become older sisters.
Really I'm glad that people haven't been buying them too much as they've got
all they need and more, and they don't seem to be finding the attention on
#3 a problem.
Another interesting point that dh pointed out was that for #1 most of the
presents were clothes. And of those most were size 3-6 months (we got so
much in that size I ended up exchanging a lot for bigger sizes and still had
too much in that size. #2 we got more toys than clothes, and the clothes
were a fair mixture of sizes. With #3 we've got nearly all 0-3 months, with
a few newborn, and two teddies for the toy department!
Debbie