Old March 28th 05, 07:16 PM
Jim

Kevin Karplus wrote:

Certainly. We never lied to our son about Santa Claus, the Easter
Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy. We told him that these were made-up
characters, but that play-acting them was fun. We still enjoy the
customs without the trouble of having to disillusion him.

I've never understood why some people choose to lie to their kids
about popular myths---what is the advantage (tot he child or the
parent) in having a child really believe in Santa Claus or the Easter
Bunny? Yes, it is easy to fool little children, but why??

Because some - both parents and children - find the whole idea a great
deal of fun. I do understand why some parents feel differently.

What is the disadvantage of having a bright-eyed six y.o. go to sleep
gleefully awaiting a bouncing rabbit? That somehow a parent perceives
their own credibility as so fragile that it all shatters when "The
Truth" leaks out in 3rd grade?!

If one wishes to fire up the whole issue with you're "lying to your
kids" type of hyperbole and boast to never, ever misleading or fooling
their own children have at it. . . . it makes an enjoyable read ;-)

--
Jim