Old December 18th 03, 03:36 AM
Irrational Number

Default Sleep routines and nursing baby to sleep

Sarah Lee wrote:
My daughter is just over 5 months and for her night sleeps my husband and I
have been bathing her and then nursing her to sleep (she's exclusively
breastfed and won't take the bottle). Up
until a few weeks ago she was waking once for a nightfeed and sleeping 10 to
11 hours all up (I was quite happy with this). However, the past few weeks
she has started to wake 2 or 3
times a night and I know she isn't hungry - just looking for a 'comfort
suck'.

One thing about babies... their schedule changes
constantly! They're keeping you on your toes.

She hasn't really taken to solids and the nurse said it's probably
because she's getting extra at night, even though she's only comfort sucking
and not having a full feed, and that I should let her cry/sleep train her.

Bogus re the nurse! I don't think babies nursing
at night means they wouldn't like solids. I think
they're separate things.

Last night we had a hell of a night, my baby went down at 7.30, woke at
10.30 for a
feed, then 12.30 and then 2am - I knew she wasn't hungry at 2am and my
husband and I went through 2 hours of hell starting 'controlled crying'. I
really hate hearing her cry, but am led to believe that this is what we now
must do.

Sometimes babies do this. I personally do not believe
in "crying it out", but if you are going to do it, please
do what other people have recommended, which is read the
books thoroughly so that you know what the crying is for.
It's not just letting the baby cry and ignoring her so
that she'll eventually sleep.

Also, during the day I often lie with her for her day naps and nurse her
down - usually because I'm tired and need the sleep myself!

I nap with Pillbug sometimes on the weekends, but I
don't have to nurse him to get him to sleep. I've
found if he's making any kind of sleep motion (rubbing
eyes, sleep-fussiness, turning head back and forth),
I lay on the bed with him in my arms and firmly pretend
to be asleep. He'll fuss a bit and squirm, but within
10 minutes, he'll fall asleep.

I found the "No-Cry Sleep Solution" by Pantley, I think,
is really good. I took her advice on unlatching Pillbug
before he falls asleep at the breast at night and putting
him into the crib very drowsy helps him fall asleep and
also makes me less "afraid" and need to sneak out of his
room.

Good luck!

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE