Old July 12th 03, 03:40 PM
toto

Default Announcing misc.kids.family-life

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:18:25 EDT, Anne Robotti
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:33:00 GMT, "just me"
wrote:

If you are interested in subscribing you will need to subscribe to the
news.gweep.ca server, download the groups which it carries, and subscribe in
your usual method of subscription to a news group.

How do you do this? (subscribe to the news.gweep.ca server)

Anne

Hi, Anne.

I don't know how expert you are with agent, but these are the
steps I used

In order to subscribe to a different server with agent, you need
another copy of agent that can run on your system at the same
time (if you want to use both copies together and since the
private server does not carry all the ngs, this is probably a good
idea).

First, find your agent.exe file.

Second, make a copy of it to a folder other than the program
files and remember where you put it. You can do this with
your windows copy program. Don't do a send to, as that only
creates a shortcut.

Third, have your key for agent handy so you can enter it
into the new setup. Click on the new agent and it will take
you to the setup wizard. Enter your key when it prompts
for this.

Fourth, go to options, user and system profile.
In the user part, change anything you want to change for
the new server. Uncheck, server requires login. Change
the title bar to agent1 or anything different from agent.
On the system bar, enter news.gweep.ca as your newsserver.

Fifth, unsubscribe from all the newsgroups that it copied
from your normal server.

Sixth, go to online and refresh group list, check delete all
extinct groups and let it run. This will take a minute or two.
You should have 156 groups approximately when it finishes.

Seventh, find misc.kids.family-life and subscribe. You can,
of course, subscribe to any other groups carried, but not
all of your regular groups will be there.

Eighth, create a shortcut to your new agent file if you wish.

You are now ready to post to mkf-l. Remember though that
your first post at least will be hand moderated so it will take
some time to appear. You may want to realize also that the
robo-moderator will send you warnings if you leave in too much
of the quoted text and don't add enough new text when you post
(I am used to leaving in all of other people's words, so I ran
afoul of this before I got the hang of how much to snip and how
much to leave in).

Hope to see you there. And anyone else who wants to use
agent there.

From what someone else said, there are instructions on forte's

website about doing this, but I haven't read them - this is my
own method, figured out with the help of some geek friends.
If you can't do it my way, try on forte's site and see if their
instructions are clearer.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits