Old October 27th 03, 03:04 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

Banty wrote:

This still doesn't make sense to me. Do they ignore the friends they have from
the neighborhood and scouts when they go to recess, or what?

There really isn't much of any opportunity. Recess isn't
long, and there are only a few classes out there at any given
time so the odds that friends would be there aren't great
anyway. Right now, I think there's only one other class out
there while my 3rd grader is at recess, though maybe all the
1st grade classes are out at the same time for my other son.
They sit with their classes at lunch. *Occasionally* there
are other times for interaction with other classes, but those
are relatively structured, like the grade level meetings
with the principal once a month or assemblies or field trips.
During the school day there just aren't many opportunities!
Sure, when there are things like the Back to School Picnic
or Fun Fair or whatever they'll interact with the kids they
know from other contexts, but those things don't happen
often enough to make and maintain new friendships not
established in other places. Also, we live in a fairly
densely populated area. Most of the kids my kids encounter
in their other activities do not go to their school.
About half the neighborhood kids do, but they barely
see those kids at school unless they happen to share a
classroom. My older son's best friend is a neighborhood
friend who was in his kindergarten class. They've maintained
the friendship, but they hardly ever see each other in
school (they haven't shared a classroom since kindy).

Best wishes,
Ericka