Old September 9th 06, 03:07 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
toto

Default Seeking straight A's, parents push for pills

On 8 Sep 2006 13:06:37 -0400, (Herman
Rubin) wrote:

Parents want their kids to excel in school, and they've heard about the
illegal use of stimulants such as Ritalin and Adderall for "academic
doping." Hoping to obtain the drugs legally, they pressure
pediatricians for them. Some even request the drugs after openly
admitting they don't believe their child has ADHD.

I suggest that grades be abolished, except for advisory
purposes. Also, it should be understood that getting a
high grade and learning the important material may well
be at odds with each other.

This is something I agree with. It seems to me that students who
focus on the grades are not focused on learning, but on pleasing the
teacher or doing the minimum to get the grade s/he wants.

Furthermore, I see nothing wrong with signing up for a
course and then deciding it is not worth completing. I
see nothing wrong with collecting a lot of D's and F's;
the straight-A student tends to be weak and shallow in
the important things.

Again we agree, but the problem is that colleges do NOT want students
who have poor grades. My dd had a class she earned a C in that she
says was the best class she ever took in her major. She struggled
with it, but learned more than she did in many classes that were
*easy* As for her.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits