Driving me nuts!

Old May 15th 07, 05:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Gorgon Park

Default Driving me nuts!

On May 13, 9:49 pm, "xkatx" wrote:
Ok, DD2 is now almost 7 months. Wow, time sure does seem to fly.

snip
Oh, and she did eat the rice cereal just fine right from the start. She
didn't do any of this with the rice, just with the barley cereal and also
the peas. Gave the peas another shot tonight as well, but again, no go.
It's like she doesn't like the taste for some reason.
Should I wait with the other foods or keep trying? Should I go back to just
the regular rice cereal? She's at the age where she's still nursing 98% of
the time for food, but every now and then bfing just doesn't seem to cut it.
She sometimes wants to nurse a little more, and the rice cereal before a
feeding seems to help her stay more content for a lot longer. Any ideas?
Suggestions?

My daughter is a bit older than yours at 8.5 months, but at 7.5
months, she wasn't eating much and every meal seemed like a battle...
it felt like we were force-feeding her. However, after a consultation
with the pediatric nutritionist at the Health Centre (we are in BC, I
don't know the AB system though) - free for the asking, no need to be
referred - we figured out that she just like to be able to feed
herself. She *loves* puffed rice cereal, which is easiest for her to
eat as it sticks to wet hands. But she will also eat yams cut into
"fries" with a bit of olive oil and baked, broccoli cooked soft,
carrots cooked soft and cut into long sticks, banana pieces, pear
pieces, lamb pieces, ground turkey.

So perhaps find some easy to eat finger foods and let her discover
food that way. My daughter seems to be very tactile and now she won't
even eat the cereals (rice, oats) without touching it first, which
makes for messy mealtimes, but at least she is eating now.

Something to consider,
Stacey

Old May 17th 07, 05:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

On May 15, 7:40 am, "Sue" wrote:
"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

The other option for the "beginner" cereals is the oatmeal.

why beginner, in the UK the main labels/age boundaries on baby food are
stage 1, 4mths, stage 2, 7mths, stage 3, 10mths,

But now that the guidelines are to start feeding solids at 6 months, I
wouldn't want to just jump right into foods that the family eats, some puree
and baby cereal would be called for to begin with so I would also start with
beginner foods at first.

Sue

There's no reason you can't start with real foods if baby is ready for
them. The idea behind starting with 'beginner/stage one' baby foods is
that, at 4-6 months or whatever, baby doesn't have the ability to eat
or digest more complex foods, and there is still a considerable
allergy risk. But many 7 months can eat table/finger foods, so if you
wait until that point to start solids, there is absolutely no reason
to not start with them. (In fact, many babies refuse solid foods until
they CAN feed themselves tables food.) While I'd still be cautious
with mixtures and allergins, theres no reason to start a 7 month on
stage one foods just because she's just starting out. It isn't like
she has to progress through all the stages!

Naomi