Darned Standardized Tests

Old April 17th 04, 04:25 AM
Iowacookiemom

Default Darned Standardized Tests

We moved to Texas last summer, where the "No Child Left Behind as long as he
passes tests" approach was born and has taken firm root. I thought Iowa was
fanatical about its preparation of kids for standardized tests, but what I'm
seeing here is lightyears beyond anything I have ever seen before.

Henry (who has ADD, more on that later) has had one textbook all year that is
specifically (and unashamedly -- it's right on the front cover) geared to test
preparations. He brought home a second a few days ago and today has added a
third. The test is in one week. He has had next to no homework not associated
with test preparation for the past three weeks.

He's in fifth grade. They will test on reading, science and math.

Up to this point, Henry has resisted having any kind of formal accommodation
plan for his ADD. We've informally talked with teachers about accommodations
and he prefers to cope on his own as best he can. He takes Strattera and it
works well for him. He has scored well (although not anywhere near as well as
he can perform in a classroom setting) on previous standardized tests (the Iowa
Test of Basic Skills). He is private about his ADD and would resist any
accommodations that would be obvious to his peers.

His teacher has been drilling in specific test-taking techniques for math for
the past three weeks. Henry brings home a 3-4 page math worksheet each night,
and he must answer the questions and show *all* of his work. He is marked off
for not showing appropriate work. Even if the question is like this:

Suzie has $6 and wants to buy gumballs for her 5 friends. The gumballs cost 10
cents each. Which number sentence would you use to find out how many gumballs
Suzie can buy for each friend? (and then four number sentences are provided in
a multiple choice format).

He must show work. What work he must show, we can't quite figure out. But
he's had nearly every worksheet returned home to us for revision -- not because
the answers are wrong (they never are) but because the work is not shown. Each
question is worth 5 points, 3 of which are for the work shown.

As far as I know, the test is standardized and how he gets to the correct
answer will not matter. He becomes easily distracted due to his ADD and the
process of showing work that he doesn't need to write down to come to the
answer slows him down, distracts him, takes valuable time away and leaves him
angry and unwilling to try.

Up to this point, we've tried to toe the teacher's line because we do see the
benefits of learning the process of test-taking for long-term success in a
world that increasingly relies on standardized measures of academic ability.
However, we do think it's become counterproductive and we feel we need to coach
him a little differently in order to do his best work on the actual test.

My nightmare scenario is this: what if the teacher walks through the room
*during the actual test* insisting they show their work? This is likely to
completely derail Henry's ability to be successful on the test.

My husband and I have resolved that we need to talk to the teacher before the
test is administered. Are we missing anything here? Any words of advice for
how we might approach this?

TIA,

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11

Old April 17th 04, 02:34 PM
Donna Metler

"Iowacookiemom" wrote in message

My nightmare scenario is this: what if the teacher walks through the room
*during the actual test* insisting they show their work? This is likely

completely derail Henry's ability to be successful on the test.

Trust me, they won't. During these tests, talking to a child at all risks
accusations of cheating, and unless they've changed the tests in TX since I
was a teacher there, the answers are multiple choice, so it won't matter.
You may want to ask about the test format (ie, if the test is a
response-type, and work will be graded, it would matter), but my experience
is that the actual answer sheet is the only thing graded in 5th grade. As a
teacher, it's really hard, because there are many times that I've seen a
child who is obviously on the wrong track, who I know could get the correct
answer with one hint-and I can't say a word, and even suggesting he look at
it again risks that the student's test be invalidated, the school's scores
be invalidated, and dooms my career. TX is different than some states in
that I believe their tests are untimed-I know a few teachers have said
they've had children taking sections of the test for hours after school was
officially out.

In my experience, the reason for the "Show all work" is because test answers
are tricky. The questions are often deliberately confusing, and I've seen
questions where several teachers couldn't agree on what the correct answer
should be from those given. By going through the problem systematically (and
teaching children to do this), you reduce the likelihood of a child rushing
through and jumping to an incorrect solution. But, for Henry, this probably
isn't the best strategy.

Unfortunately, with the way NCLB is written, schools have to be fanatic
about it. Failure is too easy, and the cost of failure is too high.

No accommodations can be given on testing which are not used normally, but
it may be possible (for next year) to write a 504 plan which only applies to
testing over X length or something (which wouldn't be reached in normal
classroom tests, but would on state tests). I test students every year under
special accommodations, and we do have a few students in my school who have
accommodations which only kick in on standardized tests and a few other rare
occasions. Usually these are kids who have LD issues where they read, but
very slowly, so on timed tests are allowed to have things read out loud
because they wouldn't be able to finish otherwise.

Oh, and this probably isn't a comfort, but based on teacher Chat boards,
Iowa is actually very casual about standardized testing. They've had their
own test for years, generally are the top or near the top of the country,
and really haven't changed the system much for NCLB-nor do they want to. In
comparision, TX was one of the states which drove the standardized testing
movement as applied in NCLB, and has had high-stakes tests with serious
consequences to schools, teachers and children for more than a decade. And
Bush took the worst parts of the TX plan and made them more punitive at the
federal level.

My husband and I have resolved that we need to talk to the teacher before

the
test is administered. Are we missing anything here? Any words of advice

for
how we might approach this?

As you have here. But honestly, the question to ask is "What is the format
of the actual test?" If the answers are given in multiple choice format and
the work is not graded, then showing work doesn't matter, and you only need
to reach an accommodation where Henry is concerned. If the work is graded,
then Henry needs to show all work to get full credit. I really doubt that
the work is graded, simply because of scoring difficulties. Too many tests,
and all would have to be hand-scored.

TIA,

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 11

Old April 17th 04, 02:57 PM
animzmirot

"Iowacookiemom" wrote in message
My nightmare scenario is this: what if the teacher walks through the room
*during the actual test* insisting they show their work? This is likely

completely derail Henry's ability to be successful on the test.

My husband and I have resolved that we need to talk to the teacher before

the
test is administered. Are we missing anything here? Any words of advice

for
how we might approach this?

Oh, I've SO BTDT.... I wish I could give you a lot of positive answers, but
I just can't. I frigging HATE standardized tests right now. This year, we
had the writing portion as well as the upcoming regular math/english/science
part. The writing is my son's serious bugaboo as he's dysgraphic. We had to
have accomodations this year, but the school didn't follow what I wanted,
which was for me to proctor the test, for DS to be in the learning center,
and for him to dictate. Instead they refused to allow me to proctor (it's
against the state laws evidentally), they made him use a computer, and they
put him in the computer center with about 30 other kids. It was a TOTAL and
complete disaster. He was made to use an old apple computer, which crashed
minutes before the test was to be completed, and all his work was lost. He
got one question partially answered. There was no makeup allowed, so he
completely and totally failed this part of the test, I assume.

For the upcoming tests I've gone majorly ballistic with the learning center
folks, and he WILL be writing on his own, and he will not be timed. If it
takes him all day, it takes him all day but he's not going to be punished by
bad computers nor by a refusal to allow dictation (which is in his damn IEP,
but don't even get me started....)

My advice is to talk to Henry a lot about what he wants to do, and make a
pro and con list for the various options. You make one list, your husband
should do his own list, and Henry should do a third list. One one side of
the paper write down all the pros and cons, and on the other side, write
down what worries/concerns you about the testing process. Exchange the
papers amongst yourselves and discuss. You'll probably find that Henry is
worried about things that are different than your worries, but that he's
willing to at least discuss the alternatives if you give him the option of
bowing out.

The thing is, these tests are so totally meaningless, as I know you know.
The whole Texas insistance on the standardized test has destroyed the public
schools there, as far as I can tell. A friend in Austin is constantly
bitching about how exasperating it is to have so much time wasted on
learning how to take a damn test. And I don't think you can opt out there,
just like you can't opt out anymore in CA. I think this whole business of
teaching to the test and making the test more important than the classroom
learning is going to be a serious detrement to public schools as more and
more parents start opting for homeschooling and private schools in order to
avoid the testing. And in some states (MA comes to mind), even homeschoolers
are required to take the damn test. I think that's outrageous.

You have my sympathy. I know how hard it is for an ADHD kid to have to sit
still and concentrate on these tests. I think it's criminal to make kids do
this. I really do.

Marjorie

Old April 17th 04, 04:28 PM
Cathy Kearns

"animzmirot" wrote in message

[...]

That's terrible. I hope you re-enforced to your son that doing his
best is all that matters, and you believe he did so.

In California there is no consequences to the students who
fail, or don't do well on the test, only to the schools, and
indirectly, the teachers. (The high school students figured
this out and started to make intricate dot pictures on their
test forms. Now the state offeres scholarships for doing
well on the test to convince the high school students to
at least try.) I remind my daughters of that around standardized
test time. They go in much less stressed, revel in how stressed
the teachers seem, and amazingly do quite well.

If your state is similar, the consequences of not allowing
successful accomodations and testing on faulty computers
fall right back into the lap of those at fault, the school.

Old April 17th 04, 07:05 PM
Donna Metler

"Cathy Kearns" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

Again, while the computer would be the school's fault, the school doesn't
get to say which accommodations we're allowed to use. Believe me, if we
were, we'd have a lot more accommodations! The ONLY accomodations which were
approved for any special needs student in my school we

1) Having the test read out loud
2) Large print test book/answer sheet
3) Extra time, up to 2x
4) take test alone with a proctor or in small group
5) frequent breaks (supervised)
6) Use of an alphasmarts or word processing program without spelling or
grammar checking on the writing part only.
7) for students with a tested IQ of below 60, testing on instructional level
instead of grade level. (IE, child mainstreamed into 4th grade but doing 1st
grade level work can take the 1st grade test)

That's it. No unlimited time, no shortened test sections, no parent allowed
to come and write for her child, etc. Over half the accommodations on IEPs
simply are not allowed on the state tests. If we allow them to be used, the
school is held liable. Look at the state level and the test company chosen
to administer the test for the reason. Look at the federal government as to
why students for whom the test is not a good thing are required to be tested
at all. I don't know of a single teacher, especially not in special ed, who
thinks this is a good thing for the children!!

My advice-write as many accommodations for testing as you can into the IEP,
knowing that they all will not be allowed. If your child is going to be
typing, put in specifically that "X will use an alphasmarts (or a macintosh
or windows notebook running MS word with X, Y, Z other software) for all
school assignments and tests." Teach your child to back up and save
frequently, both to the hard drive and to a floppy, via a network, or via a
USB flash device. And pray, and pray hard. Believe me, the special ed
teacher is praying, too-because if the test has to be invalidated, guess who
takes the blame??

We had a situation this year where a special education student had a test
book prepared both in the special ed room and in her regular class. When
test time came, the regular ed teacher was one short, so she erased the name
off the extra book, knowing the girl was testing in special ed, and gave it
to the other student. Unfortunately, she didn't change any of the data on
the identification sheet inside the book. The result was that to the
computer, this child had two tests. They were able to get it sorted out only
because all of the special education students in this girl's group had taken
the same form of the test (since it was being read out loud), and the
regular ed student had taken a different form, therefore it was possible to
uniquely identify which book had been taken by which student. Otherwise,
there was a possibility that BOTH classes would have had ALL of the scores
thrown out and invalidated, which would have automaticallty failed both
teachers and the 3rd grade scores for the school.

Also, look into opt-out clauses. Some states allow parents to excempt their
child from testing. Others do not. The school probably will not be able to
tell you if you legally can pull your child out, but groups like fairtest
can and will.

Old April 17th 04, 07:06 PM
Peggy Tatyana

"Iowacookiemom" wrote:

His teacher has been drilling in specific test-taking techniques for math

for
the past three weeks. Henry brings home a 3-4 page math worksheet each

night,
and he must answer the questions and show *all* of his work. He is marked

off
for not showing appropriate work. Even if the question is like this:

Suzie has $6 and wants to buy gumballs for her 5 friends. The gumballs

cost 10
cents each. Which number sentence would you use to find out how many

gumballs
Suzie can buy for each friend? (and then four number sentences are

provided in
a multiple choice format).

Well, I'd probably try something like $6.00 divided by $0.10 equals 60
gumballs. 60 gumballs divided among 5 friends =

But I probably wouldn't expect a fifth grader to be able to articulate it
that way.

My nightmare scenario is this: what if the teacher walks through the room
*during the actual test* insisting they show their work? This is likely

completely derail Henry's ability to be successful on the test.

As has been mentioned, I don't think the teacher si allowed to say
_anything_ to the students during the test. But this is certainly something
to discuss in your pre-test meeting.

My husband and I have resolved that we need to talk to the teacher before

the
test is administered. Are we missing anything here? Any words of advice

for
how we might approach this?

I think you're doing a great job. If Henry has the skills and the concepts
down, he ought to do fine...in spite of all the preparation hassles. I think
it will be very helpful the more definite a picture you can create for your
son of what the test conditions will be like.

I remember when I used to take yucky tests in high school, I'd sometimes
bring along something I liked -- a pretty stone or seashell -- to set on my
desk so that I could look at it when I felt stressed. I wonder if such a
thing would be allowed in our times?

I'll just go on record here saying how stupid I think the big emphasis on
standardized tests is, as a homeschooling parent and a former elementary
teacher.

Peggy

--
WWSD ***** What Would Samwise Do?

Old April 17th 04, 08:56 PM
Claire Petersky

"Iowacookiemom" wrote in message

His teacher has been drilling in specific test-taking techniques for math

for
the past three weeks. Henry brings home a 3-4 page math worksheet each

night,
and he must answer the questions and show *all* of his work. He is marked

off
for not showing appropriate work.

As far as I know, the test is standardized and how he gets to the correct
answer will not matter.

I don't know how it works in Texas, but here in Washington State, how you
show your work is part of the test. What this means is that math tests are
in essence, English language tests -- if you can't explain how you got your
answer, it will be marked down. If you understand math intuitively, you're
screwed -- you have to explain how you got your answer "logically". I'm not
sure what the purpose is with this, other than to make sure that immigrant
students from other countries with good math educations don't show up the
locals.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old April 18th 04, 12:34 AM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Iowacookiemom wrote:
[...]

This is worth finding out. Standardized tests aren't always multiple
choice these days. In Vermont, the "standardized" testing includes
math and writing portfolios at many grade levels. The amount of writing
they are supposed to do to show their work in math is insane. They are
taught a format that goes something like:

I know....
I need to find out....
I will use approach
then do the actual work
And then also "extend" the work somehow. Say another problem that it is
like, or generalize it, do it again with different numbers, etc.

For the problem above he might write:

I know that Suzie has $6 which is the same as 600 cents. I know that
gumballs are 10 cents each, and that Suzie wants to buy them for 5 friends.

I need to find out how many gumballs Suzie can afford, and then find out
how to equally divide them among 5 friends.

I will use logical thinking (this is an official "approach" they can
use; others are tables, diagrams, guess-and-check, find a pattern, etc...)

The number of gumballs Suzie can afford is 600 / 10. Then we divide by
5 to divide them among her friends. So the number of gumballs Suzie
can buy for each friend is (600 / 10) / 5.

Now personally, I think this is an evil thing to do to math. For kids
who are mathematically and not verbally inclined, this takes all the fun
out of math. But anyhow...

My nightmare scenario is this: what if the teacher walks through the room
*during the actual test* insisting they show their work? This is likely to
completely derail Henry's ability to be successful on the test.

Find out in advance what the test will require and what the testing
procedure will be.

One more thing -- are you allowed to exempt your child from the testing?
In many states parents who object to the whole process are allowed to have
their children excused.

Good luck,
--Robyn