When does an act become a crime?

Old November 3rd 05, 04:12 PM
Opinions

Default When does an act become a crime?

When does an act become a crime?

That's a simple enough question to answer, isn't it? Any takers?

Old November 3rd 05, 05:53 PM

Enlighten us Master.

Old November 3rd 05, 05:57 PM
Doan

Where does talking to your kids become verbal abuse? Using the logic
of the anti-spanking zealotS, you shouldn't talk to kids either!!!

Doan

On 3 Nov 2005 wrote:

Enlighten us Master.

Old November 3rd 05, 05:58 PM
Doan

On 3 Nov 2005, Opinions wrote:

When does an act become a crime?

That's a simple enough question to answer, isn't it? Any takers?

Whe the anti-spanking "emperors" said so. ;-)

Doan

Old November 3rd 05, 10:29 PM
Carlson LaVonne

Technically, an act becomes a crime when the act involves what has been
determined illegal. For example the act of killing another human
becomes a crime when the killing does not involve combat activity or
self-defense when there is no other way to defend oneself.

Old November 4th 05, 07:42 PM
Opinions

Carlson LaVonne wrote:
Technically, an act becomes a crime when the act involves what has been
determined illegal. For example the act of killing another human
becomes a crime when the killing does not involve combat activity or
self-defense when there is no other way to defend oneself.

Given your logic, I could invade another country, declare all the
victims of the invasion to be hostile combatants and justify my
subsequent atrocities as "combat activities." It becomes one helluva
defense in a war crimes trial. Donald Rumsfeldt must love you. Did
you vote for George Bush by any chance?

For a true pacifist, the taking of another human life even in
self-defense is a crime.

Old November 4th 05, 09:21 PM

Opinions wrote:
Carlson LaVonne wrote:
Technically, an act becomes a crime when the act involves what has been
determined illegal. For example the act of killing another human
becomes a crime when the killing does not involve combat activity or
self-defense when there is no other way to defend oneself.

Given your logic,

LaVonne's logic answered you question. It is a technical issue based on
law. Nothing is 'a crime" unless it is declared a "crime." You may be
looking for another label, such as "ethical," or "moral." "Crime" is
about governance and societies application of what is moral and ethical
in matters important to society.

Whereas something can be unethical without being criminal.

I could invade another country, declare all the
victims of the invasion to be hostile combatants

No, that would be illegal. All victims of the "invasion" would include
non-combatants. Your logic seems flawed. And building your argument by
creating scenarios that are not in fact in evidence is proof of that.

Especially given where you took your argument, below:

and justify my
subsequent atrocities as "combat activities."

Who has declared, given that your brought up our current adminstration,
that all "victims of the invasion .... (are) hostile combatants?"

It becomes one helluva
defense in a war crimes trial.

Yes, it might be. But it's not worked before. As we well know from WWII
and more recent events in Europe...the Balkans more specifically.

Donald Rumsfeldt must love you. Did
you vote for George Bush by any chance?

Are you suggesting these two did indeed declare all "victims of
invasion" as "enemy combatants?"

Please explain or clarify.

For a true pacifist, the taking of another human life even in
self-defense is a crime.

Nothing is more revealing as shoddy and unethical debate as the false
being pontificated as fact.

For instance the use of the term "true pacifist." One either is or
isn't. It's quite obvious you are setting up an unanswerable condition
to appeal to the emotions of any reader, rather than have them actually
think.

It's simple and I'd hope that as people learn to read more critically,
when they come across such little slights of word trickery they ask
themselves questions such as this one: "What would be an 'untrue'
pacifist?"

Presuming you can tolerate being exposed for an unethical fraud, let's
presume your question goes to the simple "pacifist."

First of all, pacifists are not an homogeneous block in agreement with
a single definition.

Secondly, it is hotly debated among them. http://tinyurl.com/avf3e

And for the record, pacifism does not always equate with non-violence,
nor unwillingness to take a life. The issue comes down, for most
pacifists, to the question: when is it morally defensible to be
violent, and or to take a life?

Even some martial arts are based upon pacifist principles, but, they do
not preclude the possibility that injury or death might occur should
the opponent press on with his attack.

LaVonne spoke of war, and self defense. War can qualify as self
defense.

You remind me of the unethical, that will an arrogant supersillious
sneer, point out to pacifists that to live is to kill, by agriculture
and medicine. We kill "fellow" creatures in both.

I know I've destroyed, much to my sorrow, countless earthworms over the
years in tilling some spots in my garden (that's one reason I don't
blanket till the enter garden). I know that I had some radiation to
kill some perfectly nice cancer cells that set up a quiet residence in
my body about 7 years ago.

Yet I would never consider going out and attacking my neighbor, unless,
of course, he or she attacked me, as the cancer did.

I have never struck anyone in my live, but I have struck back. Two
mutually exclusive acts.

You're a fraud, sir. Full of nonsense.

Let's look and see.

Opinions wrote:
When does an act become a crime?

Open ended questions with many possible answers is the lingua franka of
the fraud. Unless of course he's a school teacher......R R R R R

I trust you'll learn you haven't much to teach LaVonne.

That's a simple enough question to answer, isn't it?

No, obviously it's not a "simple enough question." Otherwise we would
not have large and cumbersome institutions to continually define and
redefine it.

As you will find out soon enough as more and more countries and
eventually this nation redefine assault upon children as the crime is
will be identified as.

Any takers?

Most are probably bored to tears with you. I notice that both LaVonne
and I like to entertain the screaching monkeyboy from time to time, and
newcomers of the same ilk.

Care to debate the actual issue of spanking that is in fact the subject
of this newsgroup?

Are are you not a "taker?"

Otherwise.........yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwn

0:-

A dentist's child abuse crime (also: Pregnant citizens: URGENT) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 1 September 7th 05 11:00 PM
Fluoride chemotherapy crime: Are municipal chemotherapists immunefrom prosecution? Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 September 3rd 05 12:16 AM
Babies, a massive slow chemical burn crime, QUILES faucet fraudand 'our National leader' Paul Connett, PhD (for anti-fluoride folks only) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 June 22nd 05 02:15 AM
Kids should work... Doan Spanking 33 December 10th 03 08:05 PM
Kids should work... Doan Foster Parents 31 December 7th 03 03:01 AM