Adoption Agency Under Fire

Old February 11th 05, 03:45 PM
wexwimpy

Default Adoption Agency Under Fire

Adoption Agency Under Fire

By Jackelyn Barnard
First Coast News

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- It's a former Jacksonville adoption agency that
has been under fire for a number of years.

Last year, Tedi Bear Adoptions was sued in Jacksonville by a couple in
Colorado who says the adoption agency took their money
and failed to produce the children.

The courts have ordered Tedi Bear Adoptions to pay $60,000 to the
family.

The agency has since filed bankruptcy. But that is not the only
problem it is facing right now.

Since 1997, Tedi Bear Adoptions has helped with more than 500
adoptions.

In 2003, the Department of Children and Families sent a notice to TBA
that DCF ".... intended to revoke its license."

The decision came after a number of complaints from workers as well as
clients.

"We cited some problems with their bookeeping and with some
falsification of information," says Diane Seymore of DCF.

DCF says it found some TBA workers that did not have the proper
qualifications for their jobs and training records were not accurate.

So, in July 2003, TBA voluntarily gave up its license in Florida.

"At that time with the agreement, they would not apply for a license
again in the state of Florida for 5 years," says Seymore.

The First Coast News I-team has learned Tedi Bear continued to operate
in Florida without a license.

In July 2004, there was the first complaint that came into DCF.

DCF sent a warning to cease and desist doing business.

"Our next complaint was in September 2004."

DCF says it sent another letter.

"Once again advised them that they had to stop immediately."

Then came word from a family in South Florida, the Maurer's, who just
started the adoption process two weeks ago.

The Maurer's say they were told by Tedi Bear they could have a child
as soon as March.

When the Maurer's found out the agency had no license in Florida, they
questioned the Executive Director.

"She said the reason they had to give up license is because of
overwhelming overhead and she filed bankruptcy. We were
absolutely stunned and shocked," says Mike Maurer.

First Coast News tracked down TBA's executive director, Tedi Hedstrom.
When asked if she was operating in Florida, she said: "We
have been placing children in Florida since we are licensed in
Georgia. We do not participate in social work aspect. You must be
licensed in state where you do this."

The I-team has confirmed Tedi Bear is licensed and is operating in
Georgia.

And yes, that license means it can place children in other states.

DCF says it is -- everywhere except Florida.

"Yes, if you have a license in another state you can place children
for adoption in the state of Florida. However, if you have ever
been sanctioned by the state of Florida, which TBA had been
previously, you can't operate as a child placement agency in the state
of Florida," says Seymore.

"There is no case law, administrative code or any other regulation
that I am aware of or anyone I counseled with that would prohibit
me or any other agency licensed in the state of Georgia from placing
children in appropriate families in the state of Florida," says
Hedstrom.

Two weeks ago, the state asked Tedi Bear for a list of all adoptions
it is in the middle of right now. DCF says now there is even more
reason to know who is trying to adopt.

"We will investigate once again and if they are still continuing we
will seek civil action which may include an injunction."

The state says those adoptions already underway would continue. DCF
would just move them to another agency, one that is
licensed to operate in the state of Florida.
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...?storyid=32351

Defend your civil liberties! Get information at http://www.aclu.org, become a member at http://www.aclu.org/join and get active at http://www.aclu.org/action.