mom looking for friends

Old April 9th 04, 06:45 PM

Default mom looking for friends

I'm a 22 yr old mom looking for friends with kids in my area, boca
raton, fl. I just moved here and am very shy, so it's hard for me to
make friends. I was hoping that might be there is someone here close
to my age that has a baby close to my girl's age (16 mo) that would
like to go to parks and whatnot with our kids.

Here is a little bit about me:

I work as a graphic designer at home.
I am a vegetarian.
Love animals and all wildlife.
Listen to just about very kind of music.
Mostly techno, industrial, rock (more like slipknot)
I'm very open-mined and free spirited.

Hobbies:
Sewing, computers, sculpting, fish, play with my daughter, discovering
new anime, and trying to get my husband to quit smoking (and me too),
reading packages.

Likes:
Water, drinking Bawls Guarana, making things, fixing things, tadpoles,
yoga, photos, sleeping in late, opening new packages/mail, cats ears
paws and noses, costumes.

Dislikes:
Close-minded people, religion freaks, drugies, lobsters, accounting,
cleaning, ticks.

If anyone is interested please email me at

Thank you
Old April 9th 04, 09:20 PM

Googlechat,

Misc.kids is an international news group, so the odds of finding someone
right in your area with a child the same age may be pretty slim -- BUT I
know what it's like to be a lonely and kinda shy mom. Rather than
casting such a wide net for (probably) not many fish, you may want to
try something along the following lines:
* Is there a playground or park nearby that's convenient for you
to walk/ play in with your daughter? Go there on a semi-regular basis
and you're *bound* to start seeing some familiar faces?
* If there's a natural foods store or food co-op in your area,
that may be a good place to meet other vegetarian or veg-friendly
parents. (Ours has a deli counter and a small seating area, so people do
tend to "hang out" as well as just shopping.)
* If you like to sew and sculpt, have you looked at any craft
stores in your area (AC Moore, Michael's, etc.)? Many of them offer
cheap or free classes in various crafty things -- and again, I imagine
you might find some moms with similar interests there.
* Is there a MOMS Club in your area? Try doing an internet search
or checking the phone book.
* Many public libraries offer story time even for babies and
toddlers. Does yours? Ours does, and it's always (pardon the pun)
crawling with regulars. Alternately, many chain bookstores have story
times for kids, too.
* If there's any kind of nature or wildlife education center in
your area, check our what they offer in terms of family programs. (Or
get into the habit of taking your daughter to the local zoo/ aquarium/
petting zoo.)

I guess the theme is, get out there and do stuff that's both interesting
to you *and* that you can do with your baby, and you'll probably end up
meeting a few people that share your interests.

-HB

In article ,
says...

Old April 9th 04, 09:42 PM
dragonlady

In article . edu,
wrote:

[...]

Good list! I would add, look into a faith community. Since the OP
lists herself as vegetarian, and as an open minded free spirit, I feel
pretty comfortable recommending looking into a Unitarian Universalist
church, since our congregations include lots of people for whom that
definition would be accurate.

meh