would you go to this?

Old February 23rd 06, 11:45 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default would you go to this?

http://www.birthlightconference.com

I just got this link sent through, having read the schedule, I desire
passionately to attend, it totally fits in with my role as a lay member of
the maternity services liason comittee at our local hospital, and also with
my current project in setting up a swimming class for postnatally depressed
mums.

It's being held the other side of our town, so practically very doable,
though financially a bit more tricky. I just can't imagine this happening
and all these people all being gathered just a few miles away and not being
there! Imagine being taught the Gaskin manouvere by Ina May Gaskin herself!

Am I crackers?

Anne

Old February 23rd 06, 12:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I wouldn't, but I am not interested in this kind of stuff. But, if this is
something that you are interested in, then sure why not.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 23rd 06, 02:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

On 2006-02-23 19:45:04 +0800, "Anne Rogers" said:

http://www.birthlightconference.com

I just got this link sent through, having read the schedule, I desire
passionately to attend, it totally fits in with my role as a lay member
of the maternity services liason comittee at our local hospital, and
also with my current project in setting up a swimming class for
postnatally depressed mums.

It's being held the other side of our town, so practically very doable,
though financially a bit more tricky. I just can't imagine this
happening and all these people all being gathered just a few miles away
and not being there! Imagine being taught the Gaskin manouvere by Ina
May Gaskin herself!

Am I crackers?

Anne

Oh awesome! I'd love it! I didn't see the price though... is it exxy?

Jo
--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old February 23rd 06, 02:59 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anne Rogers writes:

http://www.birthlightconference.com I just got this link sent through,
having read the schedule, I desire passionately to attend, it totally
fits in with my role as a lay member of the maternity services liason
comittee at our local hospital, and also with my current project in
setting up a swimming class for postnatally depressed mums.

It's being held the other side of our town, so practically very doable,
though financially a bit more tricky. I just can't imagine this
happening and all these people all being gathered just a few miles away
and not being there! Imagine being taught the Gaskin manouvere by Ina
May Gaskin herself!

Am I crackers?

No, you're not crackers, I'd feel just the same if it were the other side
of my town! I'd say follow your heart, if it's at all possible.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old February 23rd 06, 03:08 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

(as a side note...ina may usually doesn't talk about the gaskin
maneuvers at conferences....)

I double checked the schedule, she's doing one talk, but also a workshop,
specifically titled the gaskin manouvere

Michel Odent is interesting to listen to...even if I don't agree with
everything he says.
Frederick Leboyer is awesome...simply awesome.
Suzanne Arms...heh...she's funny. She was at my house about 7 years
ago and I just fell in love with her...

ok, now I really want to go!

Anne

Old February 23rd 06, 03:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Oh awesome! I'd love it! I didn't see the price though... is it exxy?

hi Jo, it was you and people like Elfanie, who I was wondering what you'd
think about it. Price is around 350pounds which is more than we would spend
on a holiday these days, our budget is fairly tight, however it is fairly
similar to the tax I overpaid 2 years ago, so if the inland revenue actually
get there act together and refund it, I'd have the funds.

There may be a couple of agencies that I can convince to donate something
towards it, which would be brill, my MIL is happy to care for the children.
Ada will be 13 months, so breastfeeding wouldn't be too much of a problem,
all in all, it just seems good timing for me. I'm quite surprised that such
a thing has been able to happen here, there isn't a particularly strong
natural birth movement here, birthlight does quite a bit of stuff, but they
don't really reach that many people, probably only 1-2% of the births
locally, we did there antenatal classes and they were excellent.

Now I've just got to work on my husband!

Anne

Old February 23rd 06, 03:16 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anne asked
Am I crackers?

Sidheag responded
No, you're not crackers, I'd feel just the same if it were the other side
of my town! I'd say follow your heart, if it's at all possible.

that's a relief, I think my husband probably thinks I am

Anne

Old February 23rd 06, 03:17 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I wouldn't, but I am not interested in this kind of stuff. But, if this is
something that you are interested in, then sure why not.

the why not is the money thing unfortunately, the cost would be more than we
would spend on a weeks holiday.

Anne

Old February 23rd 06, 04:41 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

If you can swing the cost, I think you should go. You've been having a
hard time for a long while--now you deserve to treat yourself.

Leslie

Old February 23rd 06, 06:10 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anne Rogers wrote:
I just got this link sent through, having read the schedule, I desire
passionately to attend, it totally fits in with my role as a lay member of
the maternity services liason comittee at our local hospital

This might be a ridiculous thought, but since you are on the maternity
services liason committee, would the hopsital be willing to foot part
of the bill, you know, in order to have a "representative" of sorts
there? It might be worth asking, and would take a bite out of the
steep price tag. I would think the conference itself also might offer
discounted admission for volunteers (which I assume you are).

These are suggestions based on how I'd get into a pricey conference in
my field, which is admittedly very different from your area of
interest, but I thought I'd at least mention it. I always think it's
amazing what one can do and get with persuasion and lobbying for ones
cause! :-)

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
Baby boy "Hale" EDD 6-2-06