Preschool in a school with uniforms-trying to figure things out.

Old June 28th 08, 03:47 AM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

Default Preschool in a school with uniforms-trying to figure things out.

I'm really hoping someone has some experience with this. My experience with
private schools is solely limited to Carnegie Mellon, which isn't quite the
same thing.

My DD will be in pre-K at a private school next year. The
website states that uniforms are required K-8, and the pre-
K class page mentions that pre-K children should wear
clothes they can manage easily which are "appropriate for
play"-which, to me, seems to say that uniforms aren't
required for pre-K.

However, I got her back to school packet today, which,
along with a class-specific supply list gave a uniform
sheet, and listed the class as "K3/4"-so now I'm wondering
if uniforms ARE required for preschoolers, but you're
supposed to pick items that your child can manage on their
own?

And, if they're not, would things like "hems on shorts and
skirts must touch the knee" apply to the preschoolers? I
don't think my DD HAS a single pair of shorts that comes
anywhere close to her knee, nor do most of her skirts.

We have parent night in August, but that's less than a week
before the start of school in the fall, and I'd like to get
shopping done before the last minute.

I'm SO confused!

Old June 28th 08, 12:55 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Donna Metler says...

[...]

Do you know someone else with kids at the school? (Even in the past.) Does the
school have a website with pictures - perchance pictures of preschoolers that
you can get an idea from?

I don't see how "manage easily" and "appropriate for play" means not a uniform.
However, if you quoted the website accurately, it seems to say no uniform needed
for pre-K to me, too.

Banty

Old June 28th 08, 01:35 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

In article , Donna Metler says...

I'm really hoping someone has some experience with this. My experience with
private schools is solely limited to Carnegie Mellon, which isn't quite the
same thing.

My DD will be in pre-K at a private school next year. The
website states that uniforms are required K-8, and the pre-
K class page mentions that pre-K children should wear
clothes they can manage easily which are "appropriate for
play"-which, to me, seems to say that uniforms aren't
required for pre-K.

Why not call her teacher and ask?
Old June 28th 08, 02:05 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Donna Metler
says...

[...]

Here's the statement on clothing for pre-K from the website

You are urged to dress your Pre-Kindergarten child in comfortable play
clothes of the self-help

variety. Children take pride in managing their own clothing, but are easily
discouraged by

attempts to deal with tight clothes or small fasteners. Overalls, one-piece
outfits and clothing with

small buttons, hooks, or snaps are often difficult for children to manage.
We ask that you not

send your child in clothing such as those previously mentioned. We recommend
tennis shoes or

other type of play shoes as footwear since we have daily physical activities
either outside on the

playground or in the gym. (If children wear sandals, they must have a back
that fastens securely

to the foot - no flip-flops.)

---
Which is pretty much exactly what I've seen for other preschools or
daycares, and there really aren't overalls or one-piece outfits as an option
in the uniform code (which isn't a big deal if it's needed-but I'd rather
not buy a ton of khaki and plaid if it's not required. It's not like I can
buy it this year and assume she'd still be able to wear it two years down
the road if she doesn't turn out to need it until she's actually in REAL
kindergarten!). I don't know that I've ever seen a 3/4 yr old preschool
class referred to as "Kindergarten 3/4" until I read her class assignment
letter. There just is no consistency between the online parent handbook and
the stuff they sent home. Which tells me that in this regard, I should feel
right at home, since the public schools I've taught in seem to contradict
themselves on an almost daily basis.

I guess once we get past the 4th of July (another thing in the packet says
the school office is closed this week-and since the school is closed for the
summer, I imagine there's not many people in the office at best) I'll call
the school unless I can dig up a parent, and most of the families I know
have their kids in public school (and were in a whole variety of preschool
options when the kids were little) or have preschoolers themselves.

\

Old June 28th 08, 03:28 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

I think that you are going to have to contact the school because we are not
going to have a clue what the protocol is at that particular school. Is
there anyone else that you know that is going to the school or has been to
the school.

Sue (mom to three girls)

. ..

Old June 28th 08, 05:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Donna Metler says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Donna Metler
says...

[...]

Sounds like the usual thing - our Montessori had something like that, real
detailed.

---
Which is pretty much exactly what I've seen for other preschools or
daycares, and there really aren't overalls or one-piece outfits as an option
in the uniform code (which isn't a big deal if it's needed-but I'd rather
not buy a ton of khaki and plaid if it's not required. It's not like I can
buy it this year and assume she'd still be able to wear it two years down
the road if she doesn't turn out to need it until she's actually in REAL
kindergarten!). I don't know that I've ever seen a 3/4 yr old preschool
class referred to as "Kindergarten 3/4" until I read her class assignment
letter. There just is no consistency between the online parent handbook and
the stuff they sent home. Which tells me that in this regard, I should feel
right at home, since the public schools I've taught in seem to contradict
themselves on an almost daily basis.

LOL.

I would guess that they send the same stuff home to everybody, never mind how
confusing it may be for parents only with children in there preschool. There
probably are preschoolers with sibs in older grades, so you might be in a small
minority.

This reminds me of the supplies lists that get sent to parents in late August.
Big jam at the Kmart!

I guess once we get past the 4th of July (another thing in the packet says
the school office is closed this week-and since the school is closed for the
summer, I imagine there's not many people in the office at best) I'll call
the school unless I can dig up a parent, and most of the families I know
have their kids in public school (and were in a whole variety of preschool
options when the kids were little) or have preschoolers themselves.

Yep, just call and make sure.

Banty

Old June 28th 08, 11:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

Donna Metler wrote:
[...]

I would check with the school. I really dislike dress codes/uniforms
for preschoolers that are prissier than what I (age 54) had to deal with
in high school, but so it goes.

Clisby
Old June 29th 08, 01:34 AM posted to misc.kids
JennP.[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:47:38 -0500, "Donna Metler"
wrote:

[...]

Why don't you call the school directly or talk to other parents?

JennP.
Old June 29th 08, 04:49 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

[...]

Round here (in UK) you'd often get a preschool (connected with a school)
wearing just the sweatshirt of the preschool over ordinary clothes. Often
this is not compulsory, but in some preschools most of the children will
have this.
Some preschools will have the same uniform as the school.
However, if it is like the standard uniform round in UK (ie
shirt/blouse/t-shirt with collar with shorts/trouser/skirt/pinafore and
cardy or sweatshirt with the schoo logo on) then you can pick easier or
harder uniform to dress them in. eg. pinafore with a zip rather than button
front, elasticated trousers rather than zip and button, shoes with velcro
rather than laces or buckles etc.
Debbie

School uniforms should be enforced in schools Beliavsky General 29 August 3rd 07 02:52 PM
Our father figure? Fred Goodwin, CMA Solutions 2 June 18th 07 04:32 PM
Go figure... Jenrose Pregnancy 4 March 14th 05 03:55 PM
School uniforms ColoradoSkiBum General 61 October 25th 03 05:34 AM
I Can't Figure Out Why(?) BroJack Solutions 5 July 20th 03 01:11 PM