dehydrated? -- help pls

Old February 14th 04, 07:42 PM
Aprill

Default dehydrated? -- help pls

hi all,

my 10 day old DS just slept thru last night without making a
wet or dirty nappy. He fed at 11pm (breastfed) and i ended
up waking him at 5am to start another feed. Is this a sign of
dehydration? especially in this heat.. and i'm pretty sure he's
not making 6 wet nappies a day. Mostly green poo.. not that
nice yellow stuff. ??

regards,
Aprill
DS Fraser 5/2/04
w: 8lb 2oz l: 50cm hc: 35.5cm

--
Aprill
DS 5-feb-04
Old February 14th 04, 08:20 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Keep a written count of his nappies if you're worried. He should be
making 8-10 soakers a day.

The green poos probably indicate that he's getting more lactose-rich
(and watery) foremilk than fat-rich hindmilk. Normally this is not
desirable, as it can lead to stomach aches and is less filling.
However, if it's hot where you are, the foremilk is very good for
hydration.

I can't think of what the other signs are of dehydration. Perhaps
someone else can chip in. But in any event, at 10 days of age you
should not hesitate to phone your doctor, health visitor, or whatever
professional is available to you.

DO keep nursing as much as possible. It's okay to wake your baby to
nurse at this age if you think it's necessary. (If, upon counting the
diapers, you find that he's wetting plenty, then let the baby sleep.)

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old February 14th 04, 09:33 PM
Shannon G

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi -

Keep a written count of his nappies if you're worried. He should be
making 8-10 soakers a day.

The green poos probably indicate that he's getting more lactose-rich
(and watery) foremilk than fat-rich hindmilk. Normally this is not
desirable, as it can lead to stomach aches and is less filling.
However, if it's hot where you are, the foremilk is very good for
hydration.

I can't think of what the other signs are of dehydration. Perhaps
someone else can chip in. But in any event, at 10 days of age you
should not hesitate to phone your doctor, health visitor, or whatever
professional is available to you.

Sunken fontanelle (the soft spot on the head) is another dehydration sign,
besides not wetting enough diapers.

Shannon

Old February 15th 04, 06:03 AM
larissa

Beth Kevles wrote:
[...]

Another sign of dehydration is uric? Crystals in the urine. It appears
as a light orange stain on the nappy/diaper.

I would offer the breast as much as possible, if you are in a hot area.
(I am in Australia and it has been really hot for the last couple of
weeks). I often wet my baby's head when it is really hot and try to keep
her in a minimum of clothes. During the day I swaddle her in a light
cotton or muslin sheet with just her nappy on under a ceiling fan.

I would certainly wake the baby to nurse if it is hot and he has slept a
long time. As suggested by Beth the green poo maybe due to shorter feeds
more often, try offering the same breast a couple of nursing sessions in
a row to help alleviate this.

Still worried? Get professional help without delay.

Larissa
Mum to
DD feb 99
DS mar 01
DD2 dec 03

Old February 19th 04, 05:42 AM
Aprill

I can't think of what the other signs are of dehydration. Perhaps
someone else can chip in. But in any event, at 10 days of age you
should not hesitate to phone your doctor, health visitor, or whatever
professional is available to you.

Thanks all. Looks like it may have been a false alarm. Seem to be
getting a good number of wet nappies and DS has almost regained his
birth weight so the feeding seems to be going ok so far.

cheers,
Aprill

--
Aprill