Gender of baby question/poll/opinion.

Old January 31st 05, 06:29 PM
Shelley

Default Gender of baby question/poll/opinion.

Where I am from, they will not tell you the sex of the baby (and since
it is government paid, I can't really argue about this). During my
first pregnancy I didn't really care but for this one, I'd really like
to know but I am destined to wait until delivery until I find out.

I know there is a ton of old wives tales on determining the sex of an
unborn child, but one theory I've heard I'm not sure if its a wives
tale or if there is some truth to it.

I've been told that if your pregnancy is significantly different from
an earlier pregnancy than it will be the opposite sex. Does this mean
that since my pregnancy has been, for the most part, the same as my
first pregnancy I'll have another boy. My husband is sure it's a girl
this time but I keep thinking we'll have another boy because of how the
pregnancy is the same as the first one.

Can anyone else confirm (with their own experiences) the theory that a
different pregnancy means a different sex and a similar pegnancy means
same sex.

I know that this will not really tell me anything concrete on my
current pregnancy, I'm just curious about what others have found in
thier pregnancy's.

Thanks,
Shelley
mom to Jacob (3 yo)
edd mar 30/05

Old January 31st 05, 06:51 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Shelley wrote:

I've been told that if your pregnancy is significantly different from
an earlier pregnancy than it will be the opposite sex. Does this mean
that since my pregnancy has been, for the most part, the same as my
first pregnancy I'll have another boy. My husband is sure it's a girl
this time but I keep thinking we'll have another boy because of how the
pregnancy is the same as the first one.

Can anyone else confirm (with their own experiences) the theory that a
different pregnancy means a different sex and a similar pegnancy means
same sex.

In my personal experience, that was true. However, I chalk
it more up to the fact that my first two pregnancies (both boys) were
only 2.5 years apart and my last (a girl) was six years later. In
other words, I think it was probably time and age that made a lot of the
difference. Also, despite the differences, there were probably more
things the same about the pregnancies than different. E.g., while I
was sicker and in more pain the last time, I still carried low,
looked similarly, skin broke out, etc. Among those I know IRL,
many had very diffferent pregnancies with the same sex and/or
very similar pregnancies with different sexes.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 31st 05, 08:01 PM
Sue

"Shelley" wrote in message
I've been told that if your pregnancy is significantly different from
an earlier pregnancy than it will be the opposite sex. Does this mean
that since my pregnancy has been, for the most part, the same as my
first pregnancy I'll have another boy. My husband is sure it's a girl
this time but I keep thinking we'll have another boy because of how the
pregnancy is the same as the first one.

Can anyone else confirm (with their own experiences) the theory that a
different pregnancy means a different sex and a similar pegnancy means
same sex.

All three of my pregnancies were the same. They were all girls. The only
difference in them were labors and DD1 was posterior, so I had back labor
with her. The other two births were significantly shorter than the first.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 31st 05, 08:16 PM
Mary W.

Sue wrote:
"Shelley" wrote in message

I've been told that if your pregnancy is significantly different from
an earlier pregnancy than it will be the opposite sex. Does this mean
that since my pregnancy has been, for the most part, the same as my
first pregnancy I'll have another boy. My husband is sure it's a girl
this time but I keep thinking we'll have another boy because of how the
pregnancy is the same as the first one.

Can anyone else confirm (with their own experiences) the theory that a
different pregnancy means a different sex and a similar pegnancy means
same sex.

All three of my pregnancies were the same. They were all girls. The only
difference in them were labors and DD1 was posterior, so I had back labor
with her. The other two births were significantly shorter than the first.

My two pregnancies were the same too, and both were girls. People
said I carried DD2 alot lower, which may be true (which led
many people to say she was going to be a boy). Or it was that
she was a full pound smaller.

Mary W.
Old January 31st 05, 08:27 PM
Irene

Shelley wrote:

Can anyone else confirm (with their own experiences) the theory that

different pregnancy means a different sex and a similar pegnancy

means
same sex.

Well, I had 2 very similar pregnancies, and I have a boy and a girl.
OTOH, I also had a longer pregnancy and longer labor the second time,
and my labor slowed down when I walked (both times). So maybe I'm just
the opposite of all conventional wisdom? g

Irene

Old January 31st 05, 08:54 PM
Cathy Weeks

Shelley wrote:
Where I am from, they will not tell you the sex of the baby (and

since
it is government paid, I can't really argue about this). During my
first pregnancy I didn't really care but for this one, I'd really

like
to know but I am destined to wait until delivery until I find out.

Please don't take this the wrong way - no offense is intended.

But where do you live that they won't tell the sex of the baby? That
seems bizarre - your healthcare provider gets to know the sex of the
baby before you do, and then doesn't tell you? (I mean, the
ultrasonographer is likely to glance and be able to tell what it is,
and then they keep their mouth shut?)

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01 (I didn't have the tests, so I didn't know
my daughter's sex either until she was born)

Old January 31st 05, 09:15 PM
Melania

snip
But where do you live that they won't tell the sex of the baby? That
seems bizarre - your healthcare provider gets to know the sex of the
baby before you do, and then doesn't tell you? (I mean, the
ultrasonographer is likely to glance and be able to tell what it is,
and then they keep their mouth shut?)

Well, in Canada it's not standard to tell the sex of the baby - it's
also not standard to look! When we asked the u/s tech if we could find
out, she scanned around till she got the viewer between baby's legs,
and let us draw our own conclusions (boy, definitely). Then, a week
later, when I saw my doctor, she asked how the u/s had gone for me. I
mentioned we'd found out the baby's sex, and she asked what it was. I
said, "they don't tell you?" and she said, "no! It doesn't matter to
us!"

I had three u/s with #1, and at no point did the tech let slip the sex
(3 different techs, also). Always said, "there's baby's heart" etc. I
have no idea if the techs knew what it was, but they didn't let on.

Some people think that they don't tell you because they're worried
people will abort based on sex. And there may be truth in that.
However, I think that mostly in Canada, with our public health care,
the focus is on a *medical* u/s, and determining the sex is for the
benefit of the parents, not for the practitioners, and thus considered
unimportant or even frivolous. In fact, FIL who is a doctor claims he
doesn't even think parents should be shown the baby or given pictures -
but he also believes there should be no routine u/s, but that they
should be done only if there's a problem.

same (ridiculously high), but my cravings/symptoms/weight gain have
been totally opposite (#1 craved sweets and hated coffee, #2 craves
coffee and salty things. Therefore, have gained a lot less with #2.
Mood swings but no health trouble with #1, great mood but exhausted and
sneezy with #2).
Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Old January 31st 05, 09:30 PM
Shelley

I do live in Canada. It seems many places in Canada do tell as there
have been plenty of women on this group from Canada who knew
beforehand. I believe there is even other hospitals within my province
that do tell. Unfortunately for me, my hospital does not tell. I
don't even think it is something they look for.

With my first child, I didn't feel the need to know. I liked the idea
of a surprise but this time I'd like to know and it's driving me crazy
that I don't. We even "subtly" asked the U/S tech but if she did
happen to see, she wasn't telling.

Thanks for the great explanation Melania.
Shelley
mom to Jacob (3 yo)
edd mar 30/05

Old January 31st 05, 09:34 PM
Shelley

In my personal experience, that was true. However, I chalk
it more up to the fact that my first two pregnancies (both b=ADoys) were

only 2.5 years apart and my last (a girl) was six years late=ADr. In
other words, I think it was probably time and age that made =ADa lot of
the
difference.

That happend to a friend of mine. She had her first son at 20 and was
postitive that she was having a girl the second pregnancy 8 years later
because it was so different. But she had another boy and we chalked it
up to her age difference.

Also, despite the differences, there were proba=ADbly more
things the same about the pregnancies than different. E.g.,=AD while I
was sicker and in more pain the last time, I still carried l=ADow,
looked similarly, skin broke out, etc. Among those I know I=ADRL,
many had very diffferent pregnancies with the same sex and/o=ADr
very similar pregnancies with different sexes.

Thanks for the reply. My gut still says boy but I guess I'll have to
wait 2 more months to see.

Shelley
mom to Jacob (3 yo)
edd mar 30/05

Old January 31st 05, 09:35 PM
Shelley

Well, both you and Sue confirm to this theory. My mother also had two
girls and her pregnancy's were similar although the labours were
different.

Thanks,
Shelley
mom to Jacob (3 yo)