Why is AF so bad this month

Old November 1st 03, 06:16 PM
Slave

Default Why is AF so bad this month

Hi all!
I can't figure it out. Here is a brief recap of the past few months. (TMI)

1) 1 depo provera shot in March. Lasted 3 months, bled the entire time. Did
not get a follow up shot. TTC.

2)June comes, decide not to continue Depo provera, TTC

3) No period til Sept 10. Lasts 8 days. Had Pap smear 9/26 (normal results)
Started taking pre natal vits.

4) BFN twice. Next period on Oct 22nd. (42 day cycle!) Is still going even
stronger. 8 days later is heavier, bright red and raging. Cramping is out of
control along with my migraine I usually get only at the beginning.

I wish this period would stop already. Before depo I was 28 day regular to
the hour! 3 days total, med to light bleeding. This is a nightmare. Do you
think that maybe because my cycle went so long I have alot of gunk up there?
Does that happen? Is is a hormone that decides how long the period lasts?
I'm wondering if I should request some type of hormone test but don't know
the proper timing, before AF/after AF? Does the extra Iron in the pre natals
effect it?

Old November 1st 03, 07:18 PM
Fer

"Slave" wrote in message
et...
[...]

My 0.02.........

Depo does weird things to your body. I can tell you what happened to me and
see if it might help you at all. I got my first shot in Jan or Feb 02,
didn't bleed for a week and a half and then bled for the whole three months.
I was told that a subsequent shot should stop it so I went ahead with
another. Arrrghh ya right, I continued bleeding. Sometimes it was spotting
sometimes full bleeds. I never went in for another. Not getting another
shot did not seem to matter, my body still seemed to bleed whenever it
wanted :-\

In the fall/winter of 02 I went to see my doctor for I had been bleeding for
9-10 months and I had simply had ENOUGH! He did remind me of the side
effects ( no sh*t Sherlock, sorry but I was p*ssed at that point) and
recommended that I go on BCP to try to balance out my cycle. It seemed to
work! The only thing I had to be careful with was never forgetting a pill
for it would cause bleeding/spotting shortly after, for the first few
months. I remained on them until Aug this year when we decided to TTC. I
had an very early m/c Sept and now I am 6 weeks pregnant :-)

Depo does terrible things to our cycles and fertility, some love it, most
I have spoken to HATE it so YMMV of course. With all that said, I truly do
believe that my BCP helped my body transition back to 'normal' and I would
recommend doing that for awhile to try to get your hormones settled down and
your body back to 'normal'. Also remember the average time for getting
pregnant after Depo is something like 18 months.

Your killer AF could have been a chemical pregnancy, it could be your body
gearing up for a proper AF, could be a side effect of Depo, who knows? I
hope it all works out for you :-)
--

Jenn
-WAHM

Old November 1st 03, 08:08 PM
Daye

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 19:18:28 GMT, "Fer"
wrote:

Also remember the average time for getting
pregnant after Depo is something like 18 months.

This is how long it took me to get pregnant after Depo.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old November 1st 03, 11:01 PM
Angi

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 18:16:43 GMT, "Slave"
wrote:

[...]

I was on the Depo for 5 years and I would not recommend it at all. In
that 5 years I didn't get pregnant, didn't have a problem, but I also
didn't have a period. We believe I suffered bone density loss, but we
have to wait to see.

It took me 2 years after quitting it to get pregnant and my periods
are worse than they ever were before the Depo. I used to be able to
set my watch by my period's arrival and departure, and now (well,
before I got pregnant) I don't even think the period knows when it's
going to get here and go. My cramping was worse than ever.

I've had friends who suffered the constant bleeding and one lost so
much blood it was killing her. That was finally taken care of, but I
don't remember how.

Like I said, it's great birth control, but the effects when you come
off are just not worth it at all.

Angi

Old November 2nd 03, 01:43 AM
jjmoreta

Default Why Depo Should Be Carefully Considered or Avoided!

Slave wrote:
[...]

TMI warning:

I was on Depo for 3 years. Before it, I had the perfect 28 day cycle as
well. I had heavier bleeding that lasted around 5 days, but that wasn't
uncommon in my family. While on Depo, I think it only took me 2 shots to
acclimate to no breakthrough bleeding. But once I decided to go off of
it...

Oct 2000 - Sep 2001 - decided not to get another shot, no periods
Oct 2001 - Dec 2001 - had periods ranging from short/light to normal
Jan 2002 - Jun 2002 - did not have a period, was not pregnant (I tested
monthly)
Jul 2002 - Sep 2002 - had periods ranging from 4-6 wks, gushing so much I
swore it was fibroids
Oct 2002 - Dec 2002 - pregnant, m/c at ~10 wks
Jan 2002 - after m/c bleeding, had 4 week-long period
Feb 2002 - now - pregnant

I am PRAYING that my cycles return to some sort of normalcy within the next
several months. I didn't have health insurance through most of 2002 so I
never had tests or anything. The gushing blood is something I would wish on
no other woman. My husband and I didn't use birth control, so I guess it
took me 2 years to get pregnant.

During the time I have been on Depo, I have also been diagnosed with
fibromyalgia, my depression became worse, I gained 70 lbs, and after I went
off of it I developed symptoms of PCOS, but it was not diagnosed. I can't
link any of these positively to Depo, but I have read many other horror
stories online from women who have suffered worse.

I recommend to any woman to stay away from Depo, or at least consider it
carefully before getting the shot. It seems like a magically easy form of
birth control, but had I known what I'd be going through now, I wouldn't
have done it.

- Joanne
#1 - 38w4d

Old November 2nd 03, 07:06 PM
Daye

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 23:01:49 GMT, Angi wrote:

Like I said, it's great birth control, but the effects when you come
off are just not worth it at all.

I have been on and off Depo for about 3 years, and I will not be going
on it after this pregnancy as I am having a tubal. However, outside
of taking 18 months to conceive #2, I didn't have any ill effects
while on the med or when I can off.