can somebody recommend a good doctor &hospital to do amniocentesis test?

Old September 18th 03, 03:16 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default can somebody recommend a good doctor &hospital to do amniocentesis test?

William Lu wrote:

Hi, DEAR ALL,
I am in Rochester area, NY. I am at 21th week pregnancy.
Can somebody recommend a good doctor and hospital do
do amniocentesis test?
I feel so nervous? How about you guys?
My AFP result is normal. No ultrasound yet since the first time
used to determine my due date. I got pregnant at my age of33.5 years.

Just out of curiosity, why are you doing an amnio?
Your AFP is normal, and you're not 35 yet (the cutoff many
use for doing amnio routinely, though the rationale for that
isn't necessarily the most sound)? Has something happened
that indicates a need for an amnio? Is the information
you're looking for worth the 0.5-1 percent risk of miscarriage?
Would you do anything differently based on the results of
the amnio (e.g., would you terminate the pregnancy or use
the information to make different plans than your current
plans)?
I don't know what's available in Rochester, but the
general thing you're looking for is someone who does a lot
of amnios and has a good success rate. When you call around,
ask how many amnios they do per month/year/whatever and as
what their miscarriage rate is. The normally quoted average
miscarriage rate due to amnio is anywhere from 1 in 200 to
1 in 100. The rate a doctor quotes to you may be slightly
higher if they haven't adjusted for the "background" rate
of miscarriage. Some number of miscarriages would be
expected to happen within a few days of amnios just by
coincidence, so studies on the miscarriage risk of amnio
factor out that number of miscarriages and only count
the *excess* miscarriages against the risk of amnio.
Individual doctors may not do that, however, as they're
generally dealing in smaller numbers. They'd be more
likely to quote raw numbers of miscarriages happening
within a few days of amnios. Doctors and labs *ought*
to have this information available and ought to be willing
to share it with you.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old September 19th 03, 02:31 AM
William Lu

Dear ALL,
Thanks for all response.
Actually, we really did not see any sign for the need to do this test.
We have so many nieces, and nephews in both our families, all of them are perfect.
also, the pregnancy age of 33.5 is not so advanced. also, AFP is good.
Anyway, I will not do this.
Best wish to all moms here.

Thanks again.
JULIE
Ericka Kammerer wrote in message ...
William Lu wrote:

[...]

Darned Standardized Tests Iowacookiemom General (moderated) 32 April 25th 04 12:24 AM
for women MISS PHD General 1 October 7th 03 11:48 AM
50 reasons it's good to be pregnant [email protected] Pregnancy 2 September 9th 03 11:06 PM
The good, the bad and the ugly (The Brits' National Childbirth Trust) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 July 19th 03 09:55 PM