Separation anxiety in 3 month old?!?

Old July 18th 03, 02:04 AM
Wendy Marsden

Default Separation anxiety in 3 month old?!?

Leanne G. wrote:
Help! My 3-month old appears to be suffering separation anxiety. He
has always yelled when I put him down (he's much happier as a babe in
arms), but recently he has been refusing to go to anyone else, even my
husband. He screams and turns beet red, until he's handed back to me.
Don't know what to do, but I'm growing exhausted, and don't feel like
he's really old enough to just "cry it out". Has anyone else
experienced this? Will it go away? He's supposed to start daycare in
a month, and although that's a long time off, I don't know if this is
something that will get better between now and then. Any advice
appreciated...

Right around 13 weeks he will discover his hands. It's a big turning
point - it's when you can put him down! He will be able to reach for
rattles and bat at toys hanging from his seat.

So hang on, he's almost there. Buy some bright shiny toys for him.

All three of my kids went into daycare at four months. It worked out just
fine - my milk was well established and the baby was ready to see other
things besides my face. But this just was NOT true at three
months. You'll see a big difference within the month.

Personally, I always appreciated having the daycare lady available to
bounce things off of. She caught stuff I wouldn't have, and helped me be
aware of stuff I didn't know I didn't know. I am still friends with her a
dozen years later.

-- Wendy