She's here!

Old October 18th 06, 06:20 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Leslie

Default She's here!

Engram wrote:
Well, she finally came at 41 weeks on Friday, 13th October at 7:11am
(GMT+10).

The vital statistics:

Name: Lara Michelle
Weight: 3500 g / 7lb 11oz (I think! not sure of exact conversion)
Length: 52 cm / 20.5 in
Head circ: 35 cm / 13.8 in

She turned out to be undiagnosed breech and had to come out emergency
c-section. Not the most pleasant experience, seeing as I was ready to push
her out when they finally diagnosed the breech position and declared it was
going to have to be a caeserian! I can write a birth story if anyone is
interested.

We just got back home today. She's doing great. Some teething problems with
the breastfeeding but we're having a great go at it and looks like it's
going to work! YAY!!

Congratulations on her safe arrival! I'm so sorry about the unexpected
section--exactly the same thing happened to me with my second baby.
Hope you have a good recovery.

Leslie

Old October 18th 06, 06:22 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Leslie

Elfanie wrote:
what happened?? I mean...why did they have to do an emergency
cesarean??

Not the OP, but where I am very few doctors will deliver breech babies
vaginally. My OB was, in fact, the only one who would in town, and he
would not do mine because I did not have a "proven pelvis." (Think
it's pretty proven at this point, LOL.)

Leslie

Old October 18th 06, 07:31 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

Congrats!!
Glad everyone's doing well, and sorry to hear it didn't go as planned. I
know what it's like for the unexpected breech - and the rush, rush emergency
section
Hope all continues to go well with the BF!

"Engram" wrote in message
Well, she finally came at 41 weeks on Friday, 13th October at 7:11am
(GMT+10).

The vital statistics:

Name: Lara Michelle
Weight: 3500 g / 7lb 11oz (I think! not sure of exact conversion)
Length: 52 cm / 20.5 in
Head circ: 35 cm / 13.8 in

She turned out to be undiagnosed breech and had to come out emergency
c-section. Not the most pleasant experience, seeing as I was ready to push
her out when they finally diagnosed the breech position and declared it
was going to have to be a caeserian! I can write a birth story if anyone
is interested.

We just got back home today. She's doing great. Some teething problems
with the breastfeeding but we're having a great go at it and looks like
it's going to work! YAY!!

Kasia

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Matthew 21 June 2005
Lara Michelle 13 Oct 2006

Check out our family at
http://www.geocities.com/engram_au/

Old October 18th 06, 09:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Not the OP, but where I am very few doctors will deliver breech babies
vaginally. My OB was, in fact, the only one who would in town, and he
would not do mine because I did not have a "proven pelvis." (Think
it's pretty proven at this point, LOL.)

I'm presuming the same, the vast majority of the developed world if they
diagnose a breech, it's straight to c-section, "because that's what we do
for breeches", ok if it was a footling breech then they really would need to
do it, but if you've got a good breech presentation and the women is already
fully dilated then there is really no reason not to go for a breech birth,
the problem is, if you demand that in the hospital, the chances of it being
safe are probably quite low, is the doctor going to stay hands off? I doubt
it, you'll end up with a breech extraction and all the associated risks, of
if they do stay hands off, then if there are problems then will they know
what to do, again probably not? But it's sad for women and Kasia in
particular, as a fully dilated multip she would have been an ideal candidate
for a hands off breech birth.

Anne

Old October 18th 06, 09:32 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Name: Lara Michelle
Weight: 3500 g / 7lb 11oz (I think! not sure of exact conversion)
Length: 52 cm / 20.5 in
Head circ: 35 cm / 13.8 in

She turned out to be undiagnosed breech and had to come out emergency
c-section. Not the most pleasant experience, seeing as I was ready to push
her out when they finally diagnosed the breech position and declared it
was going to have to be a caeserian! I can write a birth story if anyone
is interested.

Well congratulations, it must really feel like "they" cocked up after
scaring you earlier saying you'd need a c-section and what not.

It's all beside the point now, but you may want to find out more about
breech birth, assuming that it was a good breech position (i.e. not footling
breech), given that you were fully dilated and also a 2nd timer, you would
have been an ideal candidate for a problem free breech birth. One of the
mantras of radical midwives is that a progressing breech is a good one,
which you proved by getting to 10cm!

The first article on this page http://www.radmid.demon.co.uk/breech.htm is
good (the rest is too, but the first sums it up really well).

Congratulations again!

Anne

Old October 19th 06, 12:41 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Elfanie wrote:
On 18 Oct 2006 10:22:18 -0700, "Leslie" wrote:

Elfanie wrote:
what happened?? I mean...why did they have to do an emergency
cesarean??

Not the OP, but where I am very few doctors will deliver breech
babies vaginally. My OB was, in fact, the only one who would in
town, and he would not do mine because I did not have a "proven
pelvis." (Think it's pretty proven at this point, LOL.)

Yes...but they usually 'simply' do a cesarean...not an emergency
cesarean. I was wondering if there was a complication (such a
prolapsed cord - more common with breech babies) that necessitated an
EMERGENCY cesarean...??

Perhaps she meant unscheduled cesearean, rather than emergency? I know most
people probably use those two terms interchangably, although technically
speaking it's not correct. I think that to most women, when they've been
laboring and dilating for hours and hours and hours, and then mid-process
the vaginal birth gets converted to a cesearean birth, most women would
label that an emergency c-section.

But I'm guessing you know that... : )

--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old October 19th 06, 01:06 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Yes...but they usually 'simply' do a cesarean...not an emergency
cesarean. I was wondering if there was a complication (such a
prolapsed cord - more common with breech babies) that necessitated an
EMERGENCY cesarean...??

it would be an emergency because Kasia was 10cm, at least that was how I
interpreted "seeing as I was ready to push
her out when they finally diagnosed the breech position", so if they had
waited baby would have come out (which is argueably what should have been
done). Even if it was diagnosed earlier in labour, any c-section occuring
after labour has started is usually deemed an emergency c-section, though as
you say, not always an emergency situation, but I'm not sure what you would
called it, because it's not planned in the sense that an elective c-section
is.

Cheers

Anne

Old October 19th 06, 01:10 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Perhaps she meant unscheduled cesearean, rather than emergency? I know
most people probably use those two terms interchangably, although
technically speaking it's not correct. I think that to most women, when
they've been laboring and dilating for hours and hours and hours, and then
mid-process the vaginal birth gets converted to a cesearean birth, most
women would label that an emergency c-section.

though again, you could argue that this is emergency c-section, if
progression is truely not occuring, and baby is not coming out vaginally
then at some point it is going to become an ermegency. I've heard the term
crash c-section, which seems to be when it really is an emergency, thus
distinguishing it from emergency as in, it's happening soonish because the
women is in labour. It's also terms used in hospital scheduling, operating
theatres tend to have an elective list and depending on the size of the
hospital a theatre dedicated to emergencies, or slotting them into the same
theatre, so emergency again might not mean needs to be done now. In the
hospital that was local to me in the UK, for an emergency that wasn't dire
you could easily wait 3 days to be slotted in, being nil by mouth until 10pm
each day when they confirmed they weren't going to do you that day!

Cheers

Anne

Old October 19th 06, 04:28 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Leslie

Elfanie wrote:

Yes...but they usually 'simply' do a cesarean...not an emergency
cesarean. I was wondering if there was a complication (such a
prolapsed cord - more common with breech babies) that necessitated an
EMERGENCY cesarean...??

Oh, I see what you mean . . . well, when it happened to me, I was at 8
cm, and I was pretty out of it by that time, seeing as how I was SO
disappointed about my VBAC and was hysterically crying . . . but things
did seem to move rather quickly and they were sure acting like it was
an emergency. I think they are just petrified that the baby will come
out bottom first before they can stop it, when it is so close to the
end of labor.

Leslie

Old October 19th 06, 12:57 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Jamie Clark wrote:

Perhaps she meant unscheduled cesearean, rather than emergency? I know most
people probably use those two terms interchangably, although technically
speaking it's not correct.

As far as the hospital is concerned, if it's not
scheduled, it's emergent. If it's a big emergency,
it's a crash c-section. They mostly care about how it
impacts their bed scheduling ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

misc.kids FAQ on Breastfeeding Past the First Year [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 April 20th 06 05:33 AM
She's Here!! Nan Pregnancy 44 December 2nd 04 04:50 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Breastfeeding Past the First Year [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 November 28th 04 06:16 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Breastfeeding Past the First Year [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 August 29th 04 05:28 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Breastfeeding Past the First Year [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 June 28th 04 07:41 PM