Child car seats in Mexico?

Old November 12th 08, 03:31 PM posted to misc.kids
Kat

Default Child car seats in Mexico?

I know a family that is taking a trip to Mexico. Cozumel, I believe.
Is there anyone here that is either from Mexico or has taken a trip there
with a little one? I can't remember how old her little ones are, but I know
they're both fairly young - still in the forward facing/20-40lb car seats.
She's heard all kinds of "horror" stories about the taxis and all that and
how most don't even have seat belts... and taxi drivers tend to get real
angry if you do bring a car seat and strap it in to the taxi that does have
belts.
Does anyone know anything about this from first hand experience?

Old November 12th 08, 10:56 PM posted to misc.kids
Babie

"Kat" wrote

I know a family that is taking a trip to Mexico. Cozumel, I believe.
Is there anyone here that is either from Mexico or has taken a trip there
with a little one? I can't remember how old her little ones are, but I
know they're both fairly young - still in the forward facing/20-40lb car
seats.
She's heard all kinds of "horror" stories about the taxis and all that and
how most don't even have seat belts... and taxi drivers tend to get real
angry if you do bring a car seat and strap it in to the taxi that does
have belts.
Does anyone know anything about this from first hand experience?

I've been to Cozumel 12 times in the past. I have 2 more trips (via cruise
ship) in December.

I've never taken our daughter with us, but I know many people who have taken
their kids.

Since your friends are doing a land vacation, I strongly suggest renting a
car. Even if it were just a day trip, I'd probably still rent a car.

If this doesn't work, and they want to depend on taxis, they can either take
car seats with them. Kind of inconvenient I know. Or just buy new ones upon
arrival in Cozumel. When they leave, they can be donated to an orphanage or
other charity.

Cozumel is one of my favorite places to visit. Probably one of the safest
port cities in the Caribbean.

I can't think of a taxi that didn't have it's seatbelts (in Cozumel anyway)
but since it's a land based trip, and they want to avoid renting a car, they
can arrange to have a newer van style taxi or even hotel arranged
transportation. Taxis can be pretty cheap in Cozumel, but not as cheap as
renting a car.

If they find a driver and car they like, they can always hire the driver for
the duration of their trip. If they want to go to the other side of the
island, a cab can be expensive. About $40-60 each way. And you have to have
your driver wait for you while you're on the far side. San Miguel, the only
town on Cozumel island, can have some pretty scary drivers so that's another
consideration. The cab drivers that aren't certified will drive pretty wild.

Whatever they do, tell them not to rent a jet ski or moped scooter from
anyone but a resort facility. And then make sure they have it checked out
and insured. Cozumel is notorious for renting out substandard and unsafe
scooters and jet skis then blame the renter and try to charge the renter for
damages or repairs.

Feel free to pass my email address along to your friends if you want
) or email me yourself. I know quite a few people
that live on Cozumel that may be of use to your friends.

Anther source of great information would be www.cruisecritic.com in the
Cozumel forum. Lots of locals post there as well as Americans and Canadians
that visit Coz a lot.

LES!