Old October 9th 03, 06:23 PM
Kane

Default | Teen faces expulsion and felony for loaning girlfriend medicine

On 09 Oct 2003 16:54:40 GMT, (Fern5827) wrote:

Hey, Billy!

Unbelievable. What state?

Texas, Conroe, a Houston suburb, Caney Creek Highschool.

Don't you even bother to read before you go off all stupid?

There are some twists to this story. The school may DISLIKE THIS

KID, and want
him out.

Naw, CPS did it. They set him up.

Or the School Board is incredibly stupid.

Do you know something we don't? The Zero tolerance policy isn't a
school board matter. They don't get to overrule state or federal law,
or didn't you know that? Even the reporter got that wrong, but if you
had read you'd have found out better later in the article.

I wonder if the reporter "may DISLIKE THIS" schoolboard?

This particular law is state. As in (if you had read) "But school
officials say that Brandon had been warned about loaning his inhaler,
and that new state laws mean their hands are tied when it comes to
zero tolerance and drugs."

The poster gave you the clickable URL. Couldn't you get your little
twig to push the button on your mouse?

You can die, as the Mom says, very quickly too, from an asthma

attack.
Especially in the autumn, which is a terrible season for pollens and

mold.

Yep. Obviously CPS was at fault. They should have protected the child
from pollens and mold.

Hope the SB is ready to pay out.

School board? Why? they didn't make the law. They simply have to
follow it. Sad, idnit? But not as sad as your life.

Tell Billy you are sorry for forwarding his post and lying...there's a
good Cabbage.

This reporter the one that taught you to write, Bark?

Kane

Billy sent in: And a FELONY, too?? ;-((

Subject: Teen faces expulsion and felony for loaning girlfriend

medicine
From: "billy f"

Date: 10/9/2003 8:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/100...l_inhaler.html

ABC13 Eyewitness News
(10/08/03 - CONROE) - There's controversy over a school's zero

tolerance
drug policy. Some say it's gone too far. A 15-year-old faces

expulsion after
giving an inhaler to his girlfriend during an asthma attack that

happened at
school.

Boyfriend and girlfriend, 15-year-olds Brandon Kizi and Andra

Ferguson are
both asthma sufferers and both students at Caney Creek High School.

At
least, they were, until Andra began suffering an asthma attack at

school.

"I couldn't breathe, and I was just very short of breath," recalled

Andra.
"My chest was tightened up and it was hurting."

Brandon described the incident. "Her face was turning a little

reddish-pink
and she looked pale, as far as I could see. I loaned her my inhaler.

walked her to the nurse's office and loaned her my inhaler."

That's when the trouble started. The school nurse called the school

police,
who arrested Brandon. They charged him with a felony, namely

distributing a
dangerous drug for loaning out his prescription inhaler. Andra's

mother
thinks that's wrong.

"His (inhaler) is the very same thing. And he has had my permission

to give
her that medication any time she forgets it," said Sandra Ferguson.

But school officials say that Brandon had been warned about loaning

his
inhaler, and that new state laws mean their hands are tied when it

comes to
zero tolerance and drugs.

Principal Greg Poole told Eyewitness News, "It's hard, it's

difficult. We
certainly don't look forward to expelling any kid. But then you have

consider a kid takes the medication and has an allergic reaction,

and then
we have to deal with that issue. So, yes, there is no discretion at

this
stage."

Brandon now faces mandatory expulsion from school and criminal

charges in
juvenile court. His mother is outraged.

Theresa Hock said, "It's so unfair. My son was helping her out. And

now he's
facing criminal charges. Would they rather have had her die than my

son to
help her?"

Brandon has a hearing on Friday to determine how long he'll be

expelled for.
In addition, he still has to go to juvenile court to deal with that

felony
charge.
(Copyright © 2003, KTRK-TV)

http://www.familyrightsassociation.com Mom oughta contact them.

Folks and
sites in each state.

Old October 9th 03, 09:59 PM
Donna Metler

I suppose you realize that if his inhaler had been a different medication,
and the girl had taken harm from it, the school would now be sued by the
parent for not protecting the girl. Prescription medication should NEVER be
loaned or given to another person. If she has athsma and has a prescription
inhaler, she should carry it with her-not expect to borrow her boyfriend's.
Prescription inhalers can have pretty major side effects if used improperly,
or by someone who doesn't need them.

Realistically, the school's hands are tied on this-Zero Tolerance isn't a
local law or board policy. And from a legal standpoint, they'd be a lot more
at risk if they condoned a student passing prescription medication around.

Old October 9th 03, 10:20 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

I suppose you realize that if his inhaler had been a different medication,
and the girl had taken harm from it, the school would now be sued by the
parent for not protecting the girl. Prescription medication should NEVER be
loaned or given to another person. If she has athsma and has a prescription
inhaler, she should carry it with her-not expect to borrow her boyfriend's.
Prescription inhalers can have pretty major side effects if used improperly,
or by someone who doesn't need them.

Realistically, the school's hands are tied on this-Zero Tolerance isn't a
local law or board policy. And from a legal standpoint, they'd be a lot more
at risk if they condoned a student passing prescription medication around.

of course zero tolerance is usually a local policy -- and designed to
relieve people from ahving to exercise common sense

it also teaches kids to have contempt for law and authority

this incident could have been dealt with without expelling a student as
essentially a 'drug pusher' --
Old October 9th 03, 11:31 PM
Joni Rathbun

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Donna Metler wrote:

I suppose you realize that if his inhaler had been a different medication,
and the girl had taken harm from it, the school would now be sued by the
parent for not protecting the girl. Prescription medication should NEVER be
loaned or given to another person. If she has athsma and has a prescription
inhaler, she should carry it with her-not expect to borrow her boyfriend's.
Prescription inhalers can have pretty major side effects if used improperly,
or by someone who doesn't need them.

Realistically, the school's hands are tied on this-Zero Tolerance isn't a
local law or board policy.

Where does it come from then?

Old October 9th 03, 11:32 PM
Greg Hanson

The mother of the girl should sue for medical neglect on the part of
the school, for withholding/delaying inhaler in an asthma attack.

And refuse to drop the case.

This sort of case shows why Zero Tolerance is unconstitutional.

The two kids inhalers are interchangeable.

Laws are supposed to be for the protection of the people, not for the
legal convenience of the government to dictate terms to people.

To delay an inhaler only because of some stupid robotic
bureaucratic "Zero Tolerance" construct is reprehensible.

Next they'll let people DIE rather than give them an
emergency tracheotomy. Neater paperwork.

Much easier to check the boxes on a death certificate
than to argue that Zero Tolerance is stupid.

(Hands in air) "Oh Well, her asthma killed her."
Old October 10th 03, 01:30 AM
Donna Metler

"Joni Rathbun" wrote in message

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Donna Metler wrote:

I suppose you realize that if his inhaler had been a different

medication,
and the girl had taken harm from it, the school would now be sued by the
parent for not protecting the girl. Prescription medication should NEVER

be
loaned or given to another person. If she has athsma and has a

prescription
inhaler, she should carry it with her-not expect to borrow her

boyfriend's.
Prescription inhalers can have pretty major side effects if used

improperly,
or by someone who doesn't need them.

Realistically, the school's hands are tied on this-Zero Tolerance isn't

local law or board policy.

Where does it come from then?

In my state, drug distribution-prescription or illegal, is a felony, and any
felony on school property requires a mandatory 1 year suspension or
reassignment to an alternative education setting. This is part of the state
education code.

Giving another student a prescription drug counts as distribution. If the
school took official notice of it at all, they wouldn't have had much
choice. And ignoring it would have risked liability if something had
happened to the girl due to the medication.

It may be different elsewhere

Old October 10th 03, 01:33 AM
Donna Metler

"Greg Hanson" wrote in message
om...
The mother of the girl should sue for medical neglect on the part of
the school, for withholding/delaying inhaler in an asthma attack.

The person who committed medical neglect is the one who neglected to provide
the girl with her own inhaler to keep on her person. The school is not
required to provide prescription medication.

And refuse to drop the case.

This sort of case shows why Zero Tolerance is unconstitutional.

The two kids inhalers are interchangeable.

But, the prescriptions are not.

Laws are supposed to be for the protection of the people, not for the
legal convenience of the government to dictate terms to people.

To delay an inhaler only because of some stupid robotic
bureaucratic "Zero Tolerance" construct is reprehensible.

Which is why children who need rescue medication are allowed to keep their
own prescription on hand-not use someone else's.
Next they'll let people DIE rather than give them an
emergency tracheotomy. Neater paperwork.

Much easier to check the boxes on a death certificate
than to argue that Zero Tolerance is stupid.

(Hands in air) "Oh Well, her asthma killed her."

If my child has life threatening athsma, you'd better believe that I'm going
to make sure she has an inhaler on her person, that there's one stored at
the school in the nurse's office, and, if she's in a grade level where she's
with one teacher most of the time, that there's one in the teacher's desk,
labeled for her.

I'm not going to assume there is a child in the next desk who uses the same
prescription-nor would I expect the teacher to whip out my daughters inhaler
and give it to another child.

Old October 10th 03, 01:42 AM
Joni Rathbun

[...]

Ah, well, I was just considering ZT politices.

Old October 10th 03, 01:47 AM
Joni Rathbun

I wonder if there are any protections provided by Good Sam laws. I
understand the legal issues but a good question has been asked:
What if it had been a life or death situation?

Old October 10th 03, 02:40 AM
Banty

In article , Joni
Rathbun says...

I wonder if there are any protections provided by Good Sam laws. I
understand the legal issues but a good question has been asked:
What if it had been a life or death situation?

Good Samaritan laws require that you stay within your training.

Banty