Minor surgery - now or later?

Old October 11th 06, 11:31 PM posted to misc.kids,uk.people.parents
Sarah Vaughan

Default Minor surgery - now or later?

DS is now nearly two. We saw the ophthalmologist about his squint
today, and the ophthalmologist recommended surgery. This would,
apparently, be solely for cosmetic reasons and wouldn't make a
difference to his vision, but it's apparently a low-risk day-case
operation with little discomfort involved for him, so we'll probably go
ahead with it. The question is when. Apparently, we can get it done
any time from about six months' time (this being how long the waiting
list is), but they recommend getting it done before a child starts
school (I would also agree that if we're going to have it done, I would
like it to be before he starts school). So, we're looking at having it
done some time in the next three years. The question is whether to put
him on the waiting list now, or wait until he's a bit older.

DH was a bit unhappy about the thought of him having a general
anaesthetic now and wanted to leave it a bit, but, as far as I know (and
this is not my specialty), having a GA at the age of two wouldn't be any
more risky than having it at the age of three or four. I'm more
concerned about the practical side of the procedure - wouldn't minor
surgery be easier in an older child who can understand about not eating
for six hours and so forth? Or would it actually be worse for an older
child who can understand enough of what's going on to worry about it in
advance? (Oh, and one practical point - we're hoping to have another
one in about a year, so it might be nice to get the op over with while
we have no others to worry about and hence can spend all day with him.)

Anyway - thought it would be interesting to hear the experiences of
others. Anyone out there have a child who had minor surgery as a
toddler/preschooler, and do you have any thoughts on whether earlier or
later is likely to be less problematic? TIA.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell
Old October 12th 06, 02:51 AM posted to misc.kids,uk.people.parents
toypup

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
[...]

My children have had 3 minor surgeries between them during their toddler
years. My experience is that the younger patients are scheduled first thing
in the morning. They don't really notice skipping breakfast because of all
the activity surrounding them getting ready for surgery. They were allowed
to bring a small toy with them as they are wheeled away to the OR. See if
they'll let you do that. I think it was easier when they are younger,
because they don't have a clue and they don't care. They usually got Versed
just before being wheeled out, so they didn't care about being wheeled out.

Old October 12th 06, 03:04 AM posted to misc.kids,uk.people.parents
Jeff

"toypup" wrote in message
. net...

[...]

I would definitely schedule it for the morning. I would think that the
sooner you get it out of the way (but in the morning), the better. The risks
of general anesthesia are small at this age.

I would also consider a second opinion. And ask your primary care doc about
this next time he is in the office.

Jeff

Old October 12th 06, 11:28 AM posted to misc.kids,uk.people.parents
Chookie

In article ,
Sarah Vaughan wrote:

DS is now nearly two. We saw the ophthalmologist about his squint
today, and the ophthalmologist recommended surgery. This would,
apparently, be solely for cosmetic reasons and wouldn't make a
difference to his vision, but it's apparently a low-risk day-case
operation with little discomfort involved for him, so we'll probably go
ahead with it. The question is when.

I suggest doing it when you are NOT pregnant. A difficult pregnancy and a
child undergoing surgery would be a bad combination, and even a good pregnancy
would be better without the stress.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old October 12th 06, 11:50 AM posted to misc.kids,uk.people.parents
Mary Ann

Anyway - thought it would be interesting to hear the experiences of
others. Anyone out there have a child who had minor surgery as a
toddler/preschooler, and do you have any thoughts on whether earlier or
later is likely to be less problematic? TIA.

All the best,

Sarah

I had the exact same op. when I was a little over three. The only thing
I remember about it is going shopping with my Mum for new slippers and
a dressing gown (it must have been an overnight stay in the early 70s).

If the risks of the op. are the same whether you wait or not, I'd say
do it when he's younger. He'll bounce back more quickly I should
imagine.

Mary Ann

Old October 13th 06, 06:40 AM posted to misc.kids,uk.people.parents
-L.

Sarah Vaughan wrote:
DS is now nearly two.

My only experience is with cats. The more developed the organs, the
better they are to handle the anesthetic. Of course anesthetic is
dose-dependant and can be used safely in animals over a certain weight,
but if it were me, I'd wait until my son was older and his organs
(liver, kidneys) were bigger/better developed.

-L.

Old October 14th 06, 09:05 PM posted to misc.kids,uk.people.parents
Jo Ling

My daughter had surgery for glue-ear when she was just two. It was
absolutely fine, and I'm sure she now remembers absolutely nothing about it
(she's now 6).