chest pain - caused by breast-feeding?

Old December 31st 03, 10:12 AM
John Allen

Default chest pain - caused by breast-feeding?

Hello,
My son is 5 months old and I have recently been getting pains in my chest.
The pain is like an extreme form of cramp in the middle of the chest, right
between the breasts, and can also be felt around the back, and takes my
breath away. It hurts to breathe in, hold my breath or breathe out.
It first happened about 5 weeks ago, and lasted for about 15 mins, then
eased off. The second time was the Monday before Christmas, I got out of
bed in the middle of the night to feed my son, and by the time I got to the
cot, (which is in our room) I was doubled over. The pain lasted for about 30
mins and was so intense my husband called an ambulance. I went to hospital
where I was hooked up to monitors and checked over. Thankfully my heart is
ok. The doctor seems to think it is 'muscular skeletoid pain' and basically
said that there is nothing I can do apart from take paracetomol.
It also happened last night, and lasted from about 9.30pm until 2am,
although it wasn't as severe.
I also seem to spend a lot of time bending over the cot at bedtimes, I
wonder if this is contributing to the pain?

My husband was talking to a friend at work who said his wife had the same
problem. She was told by her GP that the pain was caused by breast-feeding
as her breast had enlarged due to feeding and were being squashed!!
Has anyone else suffered from this type of pain, and what did you do to ease
it?
Many thanks, Wendy

Old December 31st 03, 12:02 PM
Shannon G

"John Allen" wrote in message
[...]

I've never heard of that. I know if feels like yout chest but could it
*possibly* be your gall bladder?

Shannon

Old December 31st 03, 12:24 PM
Tine Andersen

"Shannon G" skrev i en meddelelse

"John Allen" wrote in message
[...]

I have chest pain when I have too much stomach acid (it's probably called
something else, I hope you understand). It's the acid running up the gullet
(why didn't they teach us medical terms at school?).

Could it be the same?

Tine, Denmark

Old December 31st 03, 01:50 PM
Leslie

(why didn't they teach us medical terms at school?).

We call that "heartburn" so sounds like it could be a possibility! (Or acid
indigestion . . . or reflux)

Leslie
Old December 31st 03, 01:53 PM
laurie

My husband was talking to a friend at work who said his wife had the same
problem. She was told by her GP that the pain was caused by breast-feeding
as her breast had enlarged due to feeding and were being squashed!!
Has anyone else suffered from this type of pain, and what did you do to ease
it?
Many thanks, Wendy

Ok, it sounds to me like typical gallstones. Does the pain occur after you've
eaten a particularly fatty meal? What makes it go away? Have you tried
antacids, and do they help? Do you break out in a sweat? Does the pain radiate
to your shoulders?

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years and
Christopher, 8 months
Old December 31st 03, 01:59 PM
Sue

Sounds like the gallbladder attacks that I had. Surely the hospital checked
your gallbladder didn't they? If not, I would have them check it for stones.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 31st 03, 02:50 PM
Brandy Kurtz

"John Allen" wrote in message ...
[...]

I just can't see this being caused by breastfeeding. Your breasts
would have to get Huge, I mean really really huge to cause doubling
over pain IMO. What about terrible indigestion? Asthma? Fractured
ribs? Just seems like they gave you a very vague diagnosis, I would
get a second opinion.

Brandy
Old December 31st 03, 03:31 PM
Rob and Laura

I have the same thing and its not my gallbladder or stones, been checked
over and over again for it.
It started when Izabella was around 3 months old.
I find if I eat fish, drink 2% milk or anything with cheese or oranges in it
I get it.
I was givin Buscopan to take for the pain when the attack comes on. You
might want to check into that. They told me I could be having gallbladder
spasms seeing there are no stones there.

--
Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

Old December 31st 03, 03:54 PM
CY

Ha! If she is in the UK then probably not...my gallstones went TWO YEARS
before being diagnosed. Can you believe that?? They told me I had
irratable bowel syndrome! LOL...

Old December 31st 03, 04:41 PM
John Allen

Hi,
Thanks for all your replies. I will try to answer all your
questions.........
I had heartburn (very mild) at the beginning of my pregnancy, and have never
suffered since.
There does not seem to be any food that set it off, I have racked my brains
trying to remember what I had eaten, and have come up with nothing.
I have no shoulder pain.
I don't think I have fractured my ribs, I don't think I have done anything
that would fracture them..
I don't suffer with asthma.
The only thing different about last night's attack, was I felt really sick,
and I did break out into a bit of a sweat, and excuse this yucky bit...you
know how when you want to be sick, and your mouth fills up with saliva, it
seemed that the more I spat out saliva, the more my mouth filled up. Sorry
to be so graphic. That lasted a couple of minutes, then the urge to be sick
went away, the pain eased slightly, but was still there when I woke up to
feed the boy at 3am.
I have been unable to get a dr's appt due the holidays, but have spoken to a
pharmacist, who has suggested it may be muscle inflammation and has given me
ibuprofen, so I will see how that goes.
Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply, Wendy