Whitish nipple?

Old April 16th 06, 06:04 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Whitish nipple?

Greetings folks.

My son is now two weeks old, and after a difficult start we're finally
coming along on the breastfeeding front. I have one nipple that's
somewhat inverted, so it's been more of a challenge to get him latched
on that side, and it's more sensitive and thus more painful.

While it's improving, I noticed last night after feeding him on that
side that part of the tip of the nipple was sort of white-looking
instead of its traditional pink colour. What's up with this? Doing an
internet search I've seen white nipples associated with thrush, but the
other nipple is fine. This just looks a bit pale in a small area.

Thanks!

KD

Old April 16th 06, 10:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

There is something that my friend has called Raynauds Syndrome or
Vasoconstriction(sp?) or nipple blanching. It's where instead of
letting down the vessels constrict causing pain and white areas. It is
worse when she is cold or cold air hits her nipples. Anyone can get it
and it's usually on the fingers and toes. Her is a link with more
info...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

Good luck
Cam

Old April 19th 06, 01:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I had the same problems and still get the whiteness sometime if my baby
nurses for a longer time frame. I asked a lactation consultant and she
said it was nothing. You should notice that it goes away within a few
minutes. Thrush is different. Its a yeast that grows and can be in the
babies mouth. Chances are if it was thrush you would see it on both
nipples and in the babies mouth.

Old April 20th 06, 01:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article .com,
"camandshane" wrote:

There is something that my friend has called Raynauds Syndrome or
Vasoconstriction(sp?) or nipple blanching. It's where instead of
letting down the vessels constrict causing pain and white areas.

Just an additional point: if the baby is squashing the nipple against his
hard palate, the nipple might become blanched. Blanched areas become painful
as the blood supply comes back in (think frostbite), but the pain goes away
afterwards.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old April 26th 06, 01:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"KD" wrote in message
oups.com...

While it's improving, I noticed last night after feeding him on that
side that part of the tip of the nipple was sort of white-looking
instead of its traditional pink colour. What's up with this? Doing an
internet search I've seen white nipples associated with thrush, but the
other nipple is fine. This just looks a bit pale in a small area.

Sounds like the baby is clamped down a bit on the nipple and cutting off the
circulation. This happened with me with both of my babies early on but as
they grew and perfected their latch it stopped happening. It can be a bit
painful since the blood flow is cut off. Sometimes I would press on the
nipple on the blanched spot and the blood would flow again and the pain
would go away. HTH

JennP.